Miter Saw Bench Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Tomorrow, a friend of mine is coming down to help me upgrade my miter saw bench. :icon_thum I've needed to do this for some time and he has a great set up in his shop. I'm hoping to add a couple ideas of my own to make mine much easier to use.:eusa_thin

Dust collection will continue to be a problem.:icon_scra Sliding, compound miter saws make it tough to collect the dust. If anyone has any good ideas on how to accomplish this, please post them. Thanks. [/
:wsmile:
B]

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
well first ya gotta bolt a steel plate to the floor.:dontknow: [dont ask we will get to that later]:gar-Bi then get ursef over ta scott's place and pick up his 60HP dust fan.:icon_thum mount it over the mitersaw.. with me so far?:widea: now go down ta the harbor fright and git ya some anti gravity magnetic boots. [remember the steel plate?]:widea: well this is where that comes in...:swoon: while using this tool after the upgraded dust collection it is best to be shirtless and without a hat. [youll prolly end up that way anyhoo!]:rotflm: if ya need ant more help let me know....[ill call somebody. :rotflm::gar-Bi

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
fred, my sincere thanks! :notworthy: I KNEW I could count on you! I would NEVER have thought of some of those "upgrades!" :dontknow: Well, I better head on over to the local military surplus yard. I think I saw a used Blackhawk helicopter over there that just might work!!
:rotflm:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
dust colllection on a sliding mitersaw is near bout imposible huh? I dont even try to collect dust on certain tools.:nah: broom and dust pan works and rarely gets in the way. some tools I just use the blower and chase the dust out the door.:gar-Bi

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Reggie, it's simple:

Build the miter saw bench
Cut a small panel behind the saw (8" x 8") that opens to the outside. Save the panel so you can close up the hole during winter time.
Build a small shelf out of some scrap plywood.
Hang the shelf on the wall opposite of the miter saw bench
Put a few tool catalogs (especially Lee Valley) outside of your shop
Put your wallet on the shelf
Start cutting.

The speed at which the money is drawn out of your wallet towards the tool catalogs generates roughly 18,150cfm of air movement, and the corresponding glare of LOYL generates roughly 146" of static pressure. More than enough to take care of a little sawdust. Just make sure your eyebrows and teeth are securely fastened.

Failing that, is there room to install something like this behind the miter saw, and hook it up to a DC? This is the "Big Gulp" from Penn State Industries.
DBGULP.jpg

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
The best set up I have seen is having the entire space/area below the saw act as a chute. Sort of like a giant big gulp like Bas pictured.

I would enjoy seeing Bas Or Fred's suggested setups though.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Bas, I've got one of those, and my first effort is going to be to try that. However, "sliders" are more difficult to work with I think. I'll let you know how it goes. I may just take fred's advice and just vacuum up when I finish.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Ken, that thing looks just "Rube Goldberg" enough to work! Should accommodate a "slider" don't you think?

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
I took an idea from another saw manufacturer that says they have the best dust collection out there... Anyway, I used some 1/8 foam that I got at Michael's. It has an adhesive backing. I cut a piece to wrap around the dust port on the back of my 12" Ridgid SCMS. I folded it over on itself to make it stronger. I also attached another piece of foam at the bottom to be sacrificial. It's not perfect, but with my Fien it does a great job of keeping a lot of dust out of the air. It does best with slow cuts, giving it time to suck up the dust.

Here are some picts:
IMG_4234.JPG

IMG_4235.JPG

IMG_4236.JPG

IMG_4237.JPG

IMG_4238.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS