Miter Clamping Headaches Solved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
In the past, whenever I was gluing up a mitered frame (ie picture frames) I have been frustrated with finding the best clamping method. I have tried band clamps, multiples of parallel clamps, cauls etc. and still have the joints slipping and sliding out of alignment!:BangHead:

While viewing a gentleman's work with picture framing over on YouTube I came across this old method. Spring Clamps! And....they actually do work!!!! (for small frames anyway)

100_3284.jpg

100_3281.jpg

100_3283.jpg

When I bought the dozen springs, I also "sprung":gar-Bi for a set of the pliers used to spread the spring for the corner. Does make applying the spring to the corner much easier.

I was a "Doubting Thomas" while thinking about "this old technology", but they do really work.:icon_thum

Wayne

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
An elegant solution to a vexing problem.

So, where did you pick up the springs and the pliers?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I'm a big fan of old school - furniture maker of old really knew what they were doing. Although Fred just about has me convinced about biscuit joiners and pocket hole joinery, I feel I may be stuck back in the stone age with dowels.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

So, where did you pick up the springs and the pliers?

Mark.

I looked around a little and found them online at Hartville Tool. (w/15% Woodnet discount + shipping they still ended up cheaper than getting them locally:icon_thum)

http://www.hartvilletool.com/category/s?keyword=94537

Do the spring clamp points cause indentations in the wood?

Ever so slight in this poplar, Tracy; even less of a dimple in red oak. Nothing that a little scuff with some 120G wouldn't cure.

Wayne

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I'm a big fan of old school - furniture maker of old really knew what they were doing. Although Fred just about has me convinced about biscuit joiners and pocket hole joinery, I feel I may be stuck back in the stone age with dowels.

Jeff.

I have pretty will given up on M&T joinery for the most part and find it much quicker with 3/8" x 1 1/2" dowels. Strong enough for me too!

(With this said, I too will hang onto the Kreg jig and my biscuits too!!:wsmile::icon_thum)

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS