Missing lever caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimReed2160

New User
jim
Don't let those missing lever caps slow you down. Get some brass, cut it to size, shape it with files, tap with a suitable screw, and make some shavings. Here is a picture of two Stanley #40 1/2 scrub planes. These planes are often found without lever caps and without blades. I make the blades and the lever caps. The brass bar in the foreground is the starting place for the lever cap.
IMAG0287.jpg

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
Nice job Jim. Brass works like a hard wood. What steel did you use on the blades? Did you heat treat it yourself?

JimReed2160

New User
jim
For the blades, I use precision ground O-1 tool steel and have it heat treated by East Carolina Metal Treaters in Raleigh. They do an outstanding job.

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
01 is good steel to work with. Did you know it's available on Amazon.com? Just finished making some 1/2" round skew chisles for lathe work.

For those that want to, you can heat treat 01 steel on your charcoal grill and a toaster oven. Did that yesterday. Pictures on request.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Looks great! What is the thickness of the brass? 1/4"? Looks like a pretty straight forward process.

Bob, I love home made tool threads! Please tell us about the skews!

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
Sure Ed, My wife needed something from Amazon.com that was $7.50 so I broused around and found 01 tool steel. Bought a 1/2" round X 36" for $8.50 and $4.50 shipping. Cut the rod into 12" and 9" pieces. Ground a skew tip on each. Bought some charcoal for $5.50. heated rod , one at a time till cherry red( turns unmagnetic, then soak a bit more). Quench in oil---I used 20W50 motor oil(4 qt $2.50 ea). Rod is now glass hard, a file won't cut it. Clean the rod back to shiney steel with sand paper. Take toaster oven to shop. Set to 450, insert one rod and heat until color changes to light straw. This took longer than I thought, maybe 1/2 hr. Remove and quench again. Rod should be 58-60 Rockwell C----about the temper of a good knife. You can just cut with a file.
Next go to lathe and make a tool handle. Install metal sleeve on top and drill to 1/2" dia, about 2.5" deep. Insert heat treated rod, sharpen and turn something.
Picture below shows new round tools and old square tool. Square tool is some 1018 3/8" stock with a 3/8" cobalt steel HSS metal lathe tip. Cobalt steel doesn't stay sharp. It's not a knife edge steel. Tool worked well as a beading tool and was easy to handle. The new round tools hopefully work better. Cost $14.25 ea. Wood store price is $35.

Attachments

• tools3.jpg
    tools3.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 173
  • Handles.jpg
    Handles.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 178

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
It's a $1.00 cheaper for the same piece. looks like a good place to shop. I bookmarked them. Shipping was 50% of the cost of the 1/2" piece on Amazon. The price for 01 goes up fast for big piece of steel---hundreds of dollars, but I thought $7-9 was good for what I needed.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
They have a branch here in CLT. I'll keep that pricing in mind when I try some of this. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS