Milissa from Asheville, turning

Status
Not open for further replies.

me-msahib

New User
Milissa
Hi, folks. I was a member a couple of years ago, but re-joined just now and thought I would re-introduce myself and post a link to PICTURES. I remember clearly that this group likes pictures.

I am a turner, and keep a Picasa album of ongoing work. I just rebuilt this website, and so I haven't put all my albums back online for public viewing. However, there is enough there to get a general idea.

The albums are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/milissa.ellison

Thanks! Nice to be back.

Milissa

PS) I live near Asheville, by the way.

Rhythm House Drums

New User
Kevin
I miss Asheville so bad!! My wife and I moved to CLT for jobs, but soon missed the mountains. We try to visit often....

Soon to get into turning myself. I'll take a look at your site.
:)

Truefire

New User
Chris
Milissa the urns you made are neat, very unique profiles, it appears that you have excelled in the workings of miniatures.

Chris

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Welcome back! It's always good to have more turners in the group. :icon_thum I looked at the beautiful work on your website. Great job! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

me-msahib

New User
Milissa
Milissa the urns you made are neat, very unique profiles, it appears that you have excelled in the workings of miniatures.

Chris

Thanks, Chris, and also to the rest of you for your welcome. As an apprentice turner (I am about 15 months into the 7 years of apprenticeship) I have worked almost exclusively on solid body forms, especially antique ones. Thus the antique chess set restoration and reproduction work you see--I have done this in both wood and bone. The reproduction set I worked up a prototype of the king for last night marks my first independent commission work of this sort, and should be exacting. Chess sets require replication: two kings, two queens, etc etc all the way to 16 pawns. So you do the work over and over, the same way each time.

The hollow body work is a step in a new direction for me. The master turner to whom I am apprenticed doesn't really like hollow body work (even though he made one of the urns and the reproduction Victorian perfume bottle holder in that album of hollow body work) but I am fascinated by treen. So I have played with the little urns and such to use up spare wood, and to learn to work with end grain etc as is required to open up such forms.

My intention is to learn the treen forms of the English and American colonial past, as well as the architectural motifs they often used. So one of these urns, for example, is messing around with Georgian forms. The "ebonized" one (i.e. autobody spray paint!) with the tall bone finial is a riff on the old pine cone stuff they used to like in the 1700s. And so on. Just playing around.

Thanks again.

Milissa

http://picasaweb.google.com/milissa.ellison

me-msahib

New User
Milissa
That is some tiny work. I would surely lose a finger.:gar-La; Great work!!:thumbs_up

In the 1800s, some turners in Munich Germany went through a fanciful phase of making miniatures. Some of these styles, such as those by the Edel family, all fit into the rook, whose top screwed off to reveal the miniatures. Others were simply very small, and were displayed on coins or whatever to show scale.

Here are a couple of modern interpretations of those types of work.

EDEL-STYLE ROOK

DSCF4059.JPG

DSCF4045.JPG

MINIATURE SET ON COIN

DSCF4050.JPG

I am not overly fond of miniatures for their own sakes. But I do have a weakness for late 1800s travel sets and will be doing some small scale (not quite miniature) work to restore a few of those. This is one that was used on a sailing ship, for example.

big_8722151_0_640-428.jpg

Milissa

b4man

New User
Barbara
Hey Milissa!

I wondered what happened to you! Great to have you back.:icon_cheers Your work is extraordinary!

Barbara

cheryllewis

New User
cheryl
Hi, folks. I was a member a couple of years ago, but re-joined just now and thought I would re-introduce myself and post a link to PICTURES. I remember clearly that this group likes pictures.

I am a turner, and keep a Picasa album of ongoing work. I just rebuilt this website, and so I haven't put all my albums back online for public viewing. However, there is enough there to get a general idea.

The albums are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/milissa.ellison

Thanks! Nice to be back.

Milissa

PS) I live near Asheville, by the way.

Beautiful work! You must have the patience of a saint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors