Mid-Century Modern is Coming Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Have you seen the prices MCM furniture is bringing these days? Could be a good market for those looking for ways to make their CNC routers pay. I drew this piece up yesterday. It is a design that popped into my head while shaving but I'm guessing it isn't a new design. The legs could be made largely with a CNC router and the case could be cut out with the same.

Obviously MCM isn't everyone's cup of tea but it might be worth considering as an option for your clients.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Bill, you need one of these.

img_gravity_balans_chair_2.jpg

Leisure suit is optional.:rotflm:

Actually, if you like Shaker, what is it that puts you off MCM (I include Danish Modern) design? They are both of clean design and minimal (or no) ornamentation.

I grew up with MCM and still respond quite favorably to it. Blond mahogany from Haywood Wakefield is quite attractive in my eyes.

However, I have a Herman Miller Eames Fiberglass chair in mustard yellow that I want to sell due to the color?

thsb

New User
Tim
love the design and love the look of mid century modern stuff. not sure why, maybe it is nostalgia ?

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
I think good mid-century modern is difficult to do well. It requires a lot of craftsmanship to make minimal joinery in solid wood that holds up over years of temperature and humidity swings. Most in catalogs now is MDF and veneer, not the same.

Bring on the craftsman!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I think good mid-century modern is difficult to do well. It requires a lot of craftsmanship to make minimal joinery in solid wood that holds up over years of temperature and humidity swings. Most in catalogs now is MDF and veneer, not the same.

Bring on the craftsman!

Most furniture regardless of style is MDF and plastic nowadays :lol

Rick M

New User
Rick
I like MCM for it's clean lines and light appearance. Been talking to the wife about making a MCM couch to replace our hulking upholstered sofa.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ha! I used to have a few leisure suits. And you should see my wedding pics. Powder blue double breasted tux's. Quite stylish for the 70's. But my tastes have changed a lot. More into plaid now and substantial looking furniture.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Ha! I used to have a few leisure suits. And you should see my wedding pics. Powder blue double breasted tux's. Quite stylish for the 70's. But my tastes have changed a lot. More into plaid now and substantial looking furniture.

Tank top / flannel / jeans / tennis shoes or boots for me. I married in the 80s but never had a mullet. I agree with you styles change but honesty I have never been a fashion bug. When it comes to furnishing the house - I leave it up to the wife and learned over time to keep my mouth shut.

Happy Wife Happy Life :)

SubGuy

New User
Zach
I like simple furniture that concentrates on wood grain, structure, proportion and creative joinery. Some MCM captures that, some is outlandish. Shaker and A&C seem to stick with it most of the time. It's just something about geometric aesthetics that does it for me.

Rick M

New User
Rick
I'm just burned out on Shaker and A&C, it's like classic rock-- good but everywhere . Probably 95% of all the furniture projects in all the mags I own are one of those two styles. I suppose because besides being attractive they are much easier than other styles.
Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Rick, I think you're right. Those styles are typically easier to explain in the short space allow for the typical article and it seems many woodworkers want those types of pieces. I see it in the plans I am contracted to draw, too.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Whatever floats your boat! In the 60s and 70s the classic colors were green, harvest gold, and burnt orange.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Personal choice is why there are so many styles. If you like it then it's for you. No right or wrong answers here.

thsb

New User
Tim
i really like MCM glassware for some reason. i guess the classic martini glasses is what got me started. plus my great aunt served us in MCM glassware and I thought she was the most sophisticated lady i had ever met (with 7 kids we didn't get out so much)....
Martini glasses were smaller then, so i can understand how someone could at least get back to the office after a 2 martini lunch. nowadays they are so big that would be impossible (at least for me).

anyway, the outlandish stuff is cool but i wouldn't want it around all the time but the pieces with clean lines i like a lot. i have done a few modern pieces and i am consistently impressed with how difficult it can be to create what looks like a really simple piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS