Mdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I've got a project coming up that's going to require several (10) 4x8 sheets of 3/4" MDF. Is there one place better to by MDF than another? I know they sell it at the BORG but I really hate giving those places my business and try and avoid them at all costs.

Thanks

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
many construction supply places can get MDF if they don't stock it. IIRC, the world's largest MDF plant is now here in NC?

RayH

New User
Ray
Jeff,

I'm old and my memory is not to be trusted:no:, but wasn't there a classified on here a few months ago by some member that was selling a large amount of MDF? I can't figure out how to search the inactive classifieds, but there may be something there.

Best of luck,
Ray

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Most lumber yards that supply the construction trade sell MDF. Call the ones closest to you and ask for availability and price.

Robb Parker

New User
Robb
All mdf is not created equal! We make mdf doors and will only use Wurth's best grade. If not end grain and routed places take forever to get smooth! The BORG stuff is truely junk and very soft internally.
Robb

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Cool! I'd consider using plywood instead for structural strength though. MDF has almost no strength.

+1 or LVL ( http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx?pid=1392 ) I think you have to get someone to order it, but it is stronger and more stable than 2x12 Yellow pine. It's also hard to nail and difficult to drill and screw because it's so dense. It's like a brazilian mahogany or something when it comes to hardness. It's not pretty though, but very consistent and SUPER strong. Me and my dad used it in place of steel beams when carrying heavy loads over large spans.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
+1 or LVL ( http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx?pid=1392 ) I think you have to get someone to order it, but it is stronger and more stable than 2x12 Yellow pine. It's also hard to nail and difficult to drill and screw because it's so dense. It's like a brazilian mahogany or something when it comes to hardness. It's not pretty though, but very consistent and SUPER strong. Me and my dad used it in place of steel beams when carrying heavy loads over large spans.

Dude I'm not building a building here :gar-La;

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jeff, I suppose if I can build a cyclone from a water heater,

you deserve the chance to try this.

Send us pics...:icon_thum

nelsone

New User
Ed
So, how does the water heater work Dennis??? Inquiring minds want to know!

Jeff, don't forget you will be putting some pretty heavy tension on the frame when you tighten the blade! I know a guy that built a bandsaw, but he used steel tube he welded up. We definitely need progress pics!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member

Jeff, don't forget you will be putting some pretty heavy tension on the frame when you tighten the blade! I know a guy that built a bandsaw, but he used steel tube he welded up. We definitely need progress pics!

I don't want to hijack Jeff's thread here. I'll do an update on the cyclone as well as my shop ceiling soon. Thanks for asking.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

I got the 24" wheels figured out... 1" shaft and pillow block bearing for the drive wheel and for the idler I have a spindle form my sons 73 Plymouth disk brake conversion and a section of 1/2 plate steel for it to sit on, talking about over engineering :gar-La;

nelsone

New User
Ed
You're not gonna use the engine out of that Plymouth to power the saw are you?:elvis:

That would be kinda like the chainsaw powered by a V8! We'd really need a video for that!:rolf:

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
I need that saw :gar-La;

Hey Jeff. I have got 56 pieces of MDF 12"x58"x 11/16" thick. Not sure I will be getting around to useing it. I also have about 20 pieces 1 5/16" thick 14x20" pieces

And 2 pieces 1 5/16" thick 20"x84" This is the good stuff. The 1 5/16" thick stuff is very strong and heavy.

Let me know, I can also figure out who that guy from the classified's is as he (First Name Mark) is the one I bought mine from. He has some GOOD MDF.

Matthew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS