Maximum width for non-glued solid white oak flooring?

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
According to the National Wood Flooring Association, any wood flooring (solid or engineered) over 4” in width should be glued as well as nailed / stapled. With this being a general statement, I wonder if certain species and cuts would be tolerant of wider widths before needing to be glued.

For cost and future serviceability reasons I want to avoid glue for my hardwood install. These will be going on top of advantec subflooring which is over a sealed, insulated and climate controlled crawlspace.

That said, what are the opinions on using solid white oak in slightly wider widths (5”-6”) without glue? Am I asking for trouble or would white oak’s inherent stability allow for a wider floor to go down without glue?

Thx!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
A good portion of our house has 5", solid, 3/4", T&G white oak flooring. It was nailed/stapled, but not glued, almost 22 years ago and we have had no problems. It expands/contracts with seasonal humidity, as you would expect solid wood to do, but no cupping or buckling. It is on a subfloor over a crawl space.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
A good portion of our house has 5", solid, 3/4", T&G white oak flooring. It was nailed/stapled, but not glued, almost 22 years ago and we have had no problems. It expands/contracts with seasonal humidity, as you would expect solid wood to do, but no cupping or buckling. It is on a subfloor over a crawl space.
That sounds promising! Thank you.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
A friend installed wide board flooring and had a mess. Sorry I don’t recall the exact width or type wood. What happened is he installed it in the winter and when summer hit it buckled. I think he actually installed it to tight. Make sure you follow the instructions to the tee.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
A friend installed wide board flooring and had a mess. Sorry I don’t recall the exact width or type wood. What happened is he installed it in the winter and when summer hit it buckled. I think he actually installed it to tight. Make sure you follow the instructions to the tee.
Scott raises a good point. I remember they brought the flooring into the house and let it sit (acclimate) for a couple of weeks before installing. By that time the HVAC was working so the wood matched the indoor climate of the house.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I think avoiding glue is a poor idea. Glue is easy and cheap insurance. I always put it under wide plank floors, Never had an issue.
From what I am being quoted isn’t cheap at all. If I skip the wide plank, the money saved on glue and labor pays for site sanding and finishing labor. I’m just trying to go as wide as possible without glue.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
As an update, I gave NWFA a call to discuss their generalized recommendations for when to use glue and they actually said that 5” and below will be fine without glue (vs. the 4” previous recommendation).

Looks like I am going with 5”, character grade white oak!

ChemE75

Tom
User
FWIW, I’ve owned a couple of mid 1800s houses in VT and ME. Both had a good number of original or very old wide plank floors that seemed perfectly fine other than worn somewhat. None were ever glued. None were tongue and groove or even shiplap. Most all were set with cut nails. I finished a floor for a bedroom that had a renovated loft with standard osb subfloor put down before I bought it. I used a lift of 1x12 pine seconds I got for nothing at a local mill that periodically gave them away. I used cut nails like the other old floors and it was perfectly fine for over the 20 yrs that we used it as our bedroom. Not oak, but at 11.25” wide, certainly susceptible to movement.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
FWIW, I’ve owned a couple of mid 1800s houses in VT and ME. Both had a good number of original or very old wide plank floors that seemed perfectly fine other than worn somewhat. None were ever glued. None were tongue and groove or even shiplap. Most all were set with cut nails. I finished a floor for a bedroom that had a renovated loft with standard osb subfloor put down before I bought it. I used a lift of 1x12 pine seconds I got for nothing at a local mill that periodically gave them away. I used cut nails like the other old floors and it was perfectly fine for over the 20 yrs that we used it as our bedroom. Not oak, but at 11.25” wide, certainly susceptible to movement.
Another positive datapoint! Thx

ChemE75

Tom
User
Another positive datapoint! Thx
Anecdotal, not scientifically proven. But seems like you’ll be fine if the assoc gave their approval. I suspect the size recommendations are chosen conservatively to protect both installers and customers.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors