Math help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

New User
Rob
Ok, I've googled this, and math is not my strong point. I need to find the measurement of an angled leg. I know I want the bottom of the table to be 17" from the ground, so the leg of the triangle is 17". I want a 15 degree angle from the leg. so how do I find the length of the hypotenuse? (the opposite leg?)

Last edited:

Rob

New User
Rob
Thank you, exactly what I needed. Google sketchup, which I thought to use after I asked the question, gave me pretty close to the same answer. Much appreciated.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question so a sketch or explanation would be helpful to clarify your point. 17" vertical height from where with a 15 degree angle? 15 degrees at one end or both ends?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Does this look about right? 15 degrees at top and bottom and 17" vertical from the floor.

legs:trigonometry.jpg

Rob

New User
Rob
That's it Jeff. I'm building an anvil stand. Got the legs cut, just need to weld it up now. Ron, I don't use it much, don't have the patience to sit down and get good at it. Easier and quicker for me to draw my projects on grid paper. But it does come in handy every once in a while.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
If you want a simple no-math alternative, simply cut the first end of the board at 15-deg, then hold that end flat to the floor (or any other flat reference -- such as the tablesaw fence). Then take another board (or ruler, etc) 17" in length and scribe your cut mark relative to the floor, then cut this 15-deg angle as well. (Note: don't use your scribed line as a literal cut-line, but rather as a marker as to where to make your 15-deg miter cut.)

With this method you can get to within a small fraction of an inch of perfect without doing any math, and so long as you duplicate this piece for all the other legs, any minor error will be perfectly replicated and as such will not affect your final project (i.e. in most cases it matters very little whether it is 17-1/32" or 16-31/32" high, so long as all four legs are identical in length and angle the table will sit flat and square just the same).

You will have your leg with a 15-deg angle and you will have your table height of 17" without having to do any math whatsoever. Then simply duplicate that piece for the other 3 legs.

There's nothing wrong with brushing up on one's trigonometry, but we often over complicate things when we get hung up on the math rather than just laying it out and marking the wood.

Rob

New User
Rob
Thanks Ethan, I never took trig, so all the formulas were confusing me. Funny, I can work on computers, but high end math escapes me. I'll post pictures of my anvil stand when completed.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Hi Rob. The most important tool in my shop isn't in the shop. It's my board and square upstairs in the house. I spent many years a a draftsman and then graphic designer. I may draw a project several times as I think it through, but when the final drawing is done the project is built on paper. Then all I have to do is go to the shop and put it togeather. I have an old book "Drafting For Engineers" copyright 1927, 1935 that gets me out of trouble when things get sticky. Drawing can solve a lot of problems.

Pop

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Hi Rob. The most important tool in my shop isn't in the shop. It's my board and square upstairs in the house. I spent many years a a draftsman and then graphic designer. I may draw a project several times as I think it through, but when the final drawing is done the project is built on paper. Then all I have to do is go to the shop and put it togeather. I have an old book "Drafting For Engineers" copyright 1927, 1935 that gets me out of trouble when things get sticky. Drawing can solve a lot of problems.

Pop

+1 to Pop's idea. A picture is worth a thousand words IMO. That's where Sketch Up has taken us a quantum leap forward in that visualization. :thumbs_up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS