Material for benchtops

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Try the Hardwood Store of NC, in Gibsonville. I don't know if they would have stock that thick but they could probably get it for you. Great people to deal with. Have you ever considered a lamination to get the thickness, it would be more stable, IMO. Dave:)

johncolvin13

New User
John Colvin
Thanks for the information. I am planning a bench much like the David Charlseworth design. For that I need the 12/4 material. Another bench at the shop will have a laminated top.

I am planning a buying trip to Pennsylvania in January where I know I can get the material. If I could get it locally although I could get one more project (out of several) finished before then.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Just out of curiosity, where in PA and what kind of deal? I ask because I'm going to NY over the holidays and if I could stop and get a deal....

johncolvin13

New User
John Colvin
There are several wood suppliers in Penn just outside of Baltimore, MD.

Groff and Groff, Hearne hardwoods, Goodhope Hardwoods to name a few. These companies have a wide range of woods and can be found on the internet.

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
If it was last year I could help, but HH & NK are out of business. I bought all my maple and walnut for my Traditional Work bench. It's only taken a`( YEAR ) to build. Will post pictures soon.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
John, I was at the Raleigh Klingspor today and they have 2 slabs of 16/4 maple. Both were about 16" wide. One looked to be about 71/2ft and the other about 12 ft.

I had forgotten about this post or I would have gotten exact measurements and pricing. If they still there tomorrow evening, when I go the TWA meeting I'll get more details.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
John the stuff at Klingspor is sft maple it is 16/4 4.99 bd ft.

One slap is 105 x 12 1/4

The other is 79 1/4 x 12 1/4
both slaps appear to almost flawless.

johncolvin13

New User
John Colvin
Thanks alot Steve. I'll try to get out there Friday and take a look. Spent the First entire day at the new shop today. Much more enjoyable than working on someones house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS