March Woodworking Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
With the Charlotte Show being canned again, is anyone thinking of going to the show in Fredricksburg VA? I don't exactly understand the Woodworking Shows thought process, as there are three shows (Baltimore, Chantilly, Fredricksburg) within an hour of DC.

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
Per an article in the November Woodshop News - TSI Expos of Claremont N.C. has gone out of businesss. These are the same folks that did the industrial show in Greensboro and were known as the Industrial Woodworking Expo. :BangHead::BangHead:
Another company called the Woodworks show also has gone under. Not sure if they were in our area.

However the WoodWorking shows are still going strong with 24 shows scheduled for 2010 and per the article will be in
Fredricksburg VA. on March 12-14 2010
Also in Chantilly,VA. April 9 -11 2010.
http://cms.thewoodworkingshows.com/cms/Home/tabid/132/Default.aspx
Per the article - its not a time for selling heavy duty table saws. they(customers) don't have the money for a $3000 table saw. They have money for sanders, sandpaper and glue.
The exhibitors who are doing well have items for $300 or less.

M

McRabbet

Another company called the Woodworks show also has gone under. Not sure if they were in our area.
The Woodworks people were the ones that had planned the show in Asheville in early October that never happened. They pulled the plug on their efforts in July, reportedly when they could not get adequate vendor support. Obviously, it is all about the economy.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
With the Charlotte Show being canned again, is anyone thinking of going to the show in Fredricksburg VA? I don't exactly understand the Woodworking Shows thought process, as there are three shows (Baltimore, Chantilly, Fredricksburg) within an hour of DC.

That area is one of if not THE highest per capita income areas in the country-----that should explain it.

Jerry

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Thinking I'm heading down to Tampa, FL this year for the show if my schedule allows. Stinks seeing these shows struggling, and some going under, but it all has to be in balance with the demand in the market (which just isn't there now I suppose).

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
There is a really nice show in Vegas every year quite a turnout as well. Lots to see and do as well. If you are in the neighborhood.
Thanks Mark

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Unless I can coordinate a business trip to DC that week I'm planning to attend the IWF in Atlanta in August (why can't they move it to a more comfortable time of the year?:cry_smile)

BTW...The show in Vegas (AWFS) rotates each year with the IWF in Atlanta.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Unless I can coordinate a business trip to DC that week I'm planning to attend the IWF in Atlanta in August (why can't they move it to a more comfortable time of the year?:cry_smile)
From my experience, Atlanta has two seasons, hot, or cold and raining. Pick one. Besides, we arrive at the airport, take MARTA to Five Points, transfer to west bound, to Phillips Arena, walk one block to show, stow bags, and enjoy the show. Leave show, take MARTA back to Five Points, transfer and go to Linburgh Center, hop on the bus, which drops us off at our hotel. Do a repeat second day. On last day in Atlanta, we either hook up with our daughter, if she is in town (she is a flight attendent), or get her car and do our running around. Highland Hardware,etc. Drop her car back in hotel parking lot, take shuttle to airport, and head home. Bigger hassel is getting out of RDU

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
That's right Bruce...rub it in. I know how much you pay for your plane tickets. I earn mine with calluses on my backside.:gar-Cr

woodworkingshop.com

Coleman
User
Thinking I'm heading down to Tampa, FL this year for the show if my schedule allows. Stinks seeing these shows struggling, and some going under, but it all has to be in balance with the demand in the market (which just isn't there now I suppose).

Reason these shows have a hard time making it is that they charge vendors, distributors, etc. from $800 to $1000 a 10x10 booth. Next, the vendor/distributor has to discount product substantially because it is a show and that is what is expected from the consumer! Next they have to pay overtime for personnel, travel expenses, etc to be there. When all is said and done, most vendors/distributors can't afford to do the shows so the promoter, needing the income that the booth fees generated, tries to make it up by charging more for classes, demos, parking, food, and admission.

Now the customer/consumer is upset because the vendor/distributors are less in attendance than the year before, the deals are not as sweet because of the booth fee hikes, increase in expenses in every category, etc so they stop coming like they did in years past.

Now, throw the internet in there where you can find all NEW woodworking products in a matter of seconds and thus the show doesn't have the same appeal.

Vicious cycle and we are ALL in it.

Not sure when or where it will stop! :icon_scra

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks Coleman for the insight. I might try to make the VA show. We have friends in the area. If I can just find their number. LOL

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Not sure when or where it will stop! :icon_scra

Me either.

IMHO ... I'm actually surprised that the booths are as cheap as you say. In my business we will pay at least $15k for a 10x10 booth at a show, then another $15-$25k just setting it up and staffing it (of course, those shows are rather huge ... so maybe it is all in proportion). And for that, we get what? Sometimes nothing directly at the show, but the investment is long-term (or at least that's how we calculate it). People need to see your name and/or product many times typically before they will purchase. People need to be educated if the value isn't apparent. And the more they see it, the more they associate themselves with it and built some form of trust via recognition.

If the businesses that present at the show expect to walk away making much money (if any) from the show itself, they will be routinely disappointed I believe. The show is a chance to show off your wares, bring awareness to your product/brand, make contact with the public, and demonstrate "how" it all works.

At the same time, people bring money to shows to spend ... and it's a lot more effective than the Internet or a showroom for that "impulse" buy because people are caught up in the moment and in the thrill :rolleyes: However, only few will make the "big" purchase at a show of any size -- especially in a day of self-research and Google. Show-folk at too often like carny in the old world and the claims are as big as elephants with a price tag to match. "Sales" are just a mark off retail back to normal, "special packages" (i.e. free dvd!) are nothing more than the videos available online for free download, and warranties are meaningless in too many cases.

While I do hope the "shows" exist, and personally make every attempt not only to attend but also to purchase at least something of value. I also hope that the "shows" find out where their value is and set some realistic expectations. If a show is to exist for selling items and making money, then it should be a "market" more than a "show". One thing I do like in some shows is the professional demonstrations/training centralized and coordinated in such a way it adds value (and typically I'm sold on something even if I don't buy it at the show that day :help:).

Glennbear

Glenn
Jeremy and Coleman summed things up pretty well. There is an adage in real estate, "location, location, location" for a woodworking vendor IMHO it is "exposure, exposure, exposure" A big show not only exposes a product to the thousands at the show but via word of mouth and magazine articles about the show millions more. Very often when someone here asks about a given tool someone will respond with " I saw a demo at the XYZ show and I was impressed/disappointed".
On a personal note, I am glad to see the proliferation of shows here in VA since so many other woodworking related activities/vendors/suppliers are in NC. There are a few sawdust makers up here "north of the border" also. :gar-La;

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
On a personal note, I am glad to see the proliferation of shows here in VA since so many other woodworking related activities/vendors/suppliers are in NC. There are a few sawdust makers up here "north of the border" also. :gar-La;

Glenn, I'll meet you in South Hill and we can carpool. What do you figure, 3 hrs from SH?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Glenn, I'll meet you in South Hill and we can carpool. What do you figure, 3 hrs from SH?
That should be about right. UPS off loads trailers at Fredricksburg, so drivers from Raleigh have to make a round trip from Raleigh to Fredricksburg, and back to Raleigh in an eight hour working day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS