March 2015, NCWW Monthly Contest - Scroll Sawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
This should draw many of our talented folks. Post pictures of your best scroll saw work. I can think of about fifty members that do outstanding work.
This could turn out to be a very close vote at the end of the month

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Here is a scroll saw bowl. It is made from Sappele. For those who have never seen one before, it is made from a single 4/4 board. This was inspired by ScottM and Carole Rothman.

image24.jpg

Steve H.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
DSC_0263.JPG

The bicyclist is made from tigerwood, the wood at the beginning and end of the words is walnut, and the base is cherry. This is a Steve Good pattern.

Steve H.​

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
image222.jpg

This is another Steve Good pattern and it is a scroll saw jewelry box. It is made from walnut and maple.

Steve H.​

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Gee I think I can do this one. I have made a piece or two.

Plaque 2.jpg

This was a commission piece made for the retiring director of a local women's choir. The design is my own. If you can read music the notes are the actual notes of the song "May you always have a song". The woods are walnut and maple.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Berta I see your one butterfly and raise you one wolf.

segmented wolf.jpg

This is a segmented piece from some maple scored from Chris (SRHardwoods). Design by Patrick Spielman.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I had this at the Klingspore Grand Opening on Saturday and he drew a lot of interest.

He's called "The Keeper of Time". I made him from 2 pieces of red oak that was salvaged from a pallet. He's about 3/8" thick. The seam is horizontal about in the center, but is almost invisible. Every line and scale of him was saw cut using a #2 blade. He took about 50 hours to make.

Charley

Attachments

• P1010006-1.jpg
    P1010006-1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 341

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm going to let Berta and Scott compete against themselves and each other to split the vote. That way I have a meager chance.

Another Steve Good pattern, hanging on my mom's living room wall over her adopted Greyhound, Nike.

20140724_172854_800x600_.jpg

Cherry plywood.

BeachBoy

New User
Jim
Here is the "Tree of Life" coaster set I made for my daughter (she loves anything that has a "tree of life" theme to it). The design of the coasters and the holder was mine, but I used someone else's tree of life pattern. It came from a large wall hanging, but I shrunk it down to fit into a 3 inch by 3 inch coaster. What was I thinking? And then if that wasn't challenge enough, I was intent on inlaying this tiny/intricate pattern into contrasting wood (I used walnut and maple). And then I repeated that excruciating exercise 6 times, one for each coaster.

Attachments

• Tree of Life Coasters 1.jpg
    Tree of Life Coasters 1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 203
  • Tree of Life Coasters 2.jpg
    Tree of Life Coasters 2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 202
  • Tree of Life Coasters 3.jpg
    Tree of Life Coasters 3.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 203

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is the "Tree of Life" coaster set I made for my daughter (she loves anything that has a "tree of life" theme to it). The design of the coasters and the holder was mine, but I used someone else's tree of life pattern. It came from a large wall hanging, but I shrunk it down to fit into a 3 inch by 3 inch coaster. What was I thinking? And then if that wasn't challenge enough, I was intent on inlaying this tiny/intricate pattern into contrasting wood (I used walnut and maple). And then I repeated that excruciating exercise 6 times, one for each coaster.
Jim,
Those are REALLY cool and I think I know where the Pattern came from -
http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Wood-S...F8&qid=1425477135&sr=1-1&keywords=simply+wood

I JUST picked it up from the library Monday and planned to share it in this thread because there were SO many neat patterns and projects!

It is in there, even if you found it somewhere else...

BeachBoy

New User
Jim
Yes, Hank, that is exactly where I found the tree pattern. It is a good book with a lot of interesting, artistically-oriented projects.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I also had this cross at the Klingspore Open House on Saturday and it drew a lot of interest. It is made from a single solid piece of 3/4" thick Mahogany and the pattern is from Wildwood Design. After cutting it out on the scroll saw I carved back the vines and leaves below the surface of the cross and shaped them using a dentist drill type of engraving/carving tool (1/16" dia bits and 400,000 rpm). Then I coated the whole cross with tung oil, followed by an application of olive green Rub-N-Buff to the leaves. I'm in the process of making 4 more of these.

Charley

Attachments

• P1010004-1.jpg
    P1010004-1.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 267

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jim,
Those are REALLY cool and I think I know where the Pattern came from -
http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Wood-S...F8&qid=1425477135&sr=1-1&keywords=simply+wood

I JUST picked it up from the library Monday and planned to share it in this thread because there were SO many neat patterns and projectS,YOU ARE AN ENABLER! ​It had Prime and Smile. It will be here in 2 days! Cool Book!
Somehow I appreciate you calling me an enabler! ha ha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS