mandrel size

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
I want to start turning pens. I've been looking at the different starter kits from several companies and will most likely go with the starter kit from Penn State. The problem is I can't figure out what mandrel size I need. I have a HF model 45276 lathe and it has a 3/4 X 10 TPI headstock and a #2MT tail stock. I can't find any mandrels to fit the headstock. :BangHead: So I guess I have two questions.

1. Does anyone have this lathe and turn pens with it? If so what mandrel do you use?

2. Would the starter kit from Penn State be worthwhile?
Basic Starter Set: Penn State Industries

Thanks,
Paul

DaveO

New User
DaveO
My guess would be a #2MT "A "mandrel. But the threads on the head stock don't seem to correspond with what is normally found when the taper is #2. Is there a tapered hole in the head stock? Does the supplied live center from the tail stock fit in it??
Dave:)

T

toolferone

In my experience a 3/4 x 16 head stock thread is usually mated with a #1 MT.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
2. Would the starter kit from Penn State be worthwhile?
Basic Starter Set: Penn State Industries

Thanks,
Paul

If you have your own turning chisels, and scrap wood, I think that you could do better buying some 7mm slimline pen kits, a barrel trimmer (or use a disk sander), and some CA to glue the tubes and finish the pens. Friction polish isn't a very long lasting finish for pens, and the tools don't look to be of very good quality. Drilling the blanks isn't difficult, provided you have a drill press or can do it on the lathe.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
In my experience a 3/4 x 16 head stock thread is usually mated with a #1 MT.

Tom, I wouldn't think that it would have a different head and tail taper? I thought the same thing when I read the dimensions of the head stock threads, but why have a different tail taper??? Is it possible that it doesn't have a tapered headstock at all??

T

toolferone

Tom, I wouldn't think that it would have a different head and tail taper? I thought the same thing when I read the dimensions of the head stock threads, but why have a different tail taper??? Is it possible that it doesn't have a tapered headstock at all??

Some old lathes had a solid headstock (no hole at all), but I think he said he tried some so that is out. In an effort to cut costs they might have used a tail stock already around rather then changing it. I really don't think there is room for a #2MT in a 3/4" headstock.

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
Thanks Eagle for the great advice today. Dave, you're right. I'm gonna look and see how I can maximize what I get for the money. The starter kit just caught my eye and lured me in. Thanks for the help everyone.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors