Maloof Rocker #1-DONE! -(with pics)-Merry Christmas to me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Hey Folks,
For those who have followed along with these posts, thanks for all of the positive comments. Thanks again to John (Woodguy1975) for offering the class, it's a great intro into chair making. In these posts I've tried to detail the after class work. It's substantial, I'm at about 80-90 hours, but the results are very rewarding. I'm very proud of my final chair-enjoy!
Rear View

Front View

Good side view of seat-rear leg-armrest-(good grain detail)

Back shot of back slats and crest rail(headrest)

Hand carved scallops-the rear legs horns that project above the crest rail

Some detail shots
Front legs

Rear legs

The rocker to legs transitions

Now that I'm done I can get back to finishing up the Roubo workbench and then work on a few household furniture items. The next chair will be a Brian Boggs chair from a class I'm taking in April-and then-I'm going to try out the Hal Taylor style rocker for Rocker #2.

Happy Holidays to all!

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do i never have enough clamps

DaveO

New User
DaveO
WOW, that turned out awesome. You've got beautiful flowing contours throughout, but I especially like how you sculpted the arm rest. It looks mighty comfortable, instead of jumping back on the bench project I would be tempted to just sit a spell and enjoy the chair.

Dave:)

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Pete-
The Brian Boggs class is at Kelly Mehler's school of woodworking in Berea Kentucky.

http://www.kellymehler.com/

It's the Greenwood Chairmaking class-3 slots still open if anyone want's to join me!

Oh, and I forgot to include in the post-The wood is quartensawn Sapele (ribbon striped) and the finish is Deft Natural (by far the easiest finish I have yet to use-just wipe it on keep the wood wet for 30 minutes-wipe off and let dry a couple of days and BAM! your done)

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
SWEET! Man, I better get working on mine. Maybe after this kitchen remodel I'm going thru!

REALLY NICE WORK, MIKE!

JohnW

New User
John
Real nice looking rocker Mike. Sculped look is smooooth. You did a heck of a good job.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Awesome work!!!:wsmile::wsmile::wsmile::wsmile::wsmile:

That is some fantastic work. You should feel very proud with such a fine outcome!

Thanks for sharing and congratulations on a job well done.:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Wayne

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think you have every reason to be proud. I find it difficult towards the end of the project to stay focused on the detail work, it's so close to being done and you want to get to the final stage, I guess that's where true mastery is shown. So major kudos on sticking with all the sanding, sculpting and carving!

Definitely a keeper. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS