Making my own carbide turning tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Just ordered my cutters from AZCarbide and have a question on ordering square stock for the tools: What type of steel do I order? Oil Hardened, Air hardened, Pre-hardened, Low Carbon, D2 or S-7?
Thanks,:dontknow:

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
I use mild steel or cold rolled. Nothing special and I prefer square stock. The others seem to hard and brittle.

ck1999

Chris
User
I purchased some square stock from a local hardware store. You could check around before buying it. I believe mine were galvanized

Chris
IMG_1325.JPG

IMG_1325.JPG

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Thanks for the response. MSC only had the classifications I noted in my post. Any correlation to those??

The ones you quoted are tool steels. They are a lot harder than hot or cold rolled steels like Kevin and I were talking about. They are also overkill IMO for this application and more expensive. Harder to work, too.

I buy my steel from onlinemetals.com so I cannot say whether or not MSC sells the types I listed, but I'd be surprised if they don't. They just won't be listed with the tool steels.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
You don't need tool steel. I prefer 1018 cold rolled square stock, but A36 is fine too. I think that Amazon small parts carries it.

Scott

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Mine are also cold rolled stock. My local steel work shop has done some jobs for me and gave me some "scrap" pieces they had. I have made two tools for myself, and three tools I used to pay it forward. I also have one piece of tool steel they gave me. I surely could not work it with the knowledge and tools I have so I have it set back for a project I am planning with a metal tool/die working friend once he gets caught up.

DanR

New User
Dan
You might try tractor supply. I bought a 4 foot 1/2" square and a 1/2" round for $9 each yssterday. Hot rolled or "plain" steel.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I use mild steel or cold rolled. Nothing special and I prefer square stock. The others seem to hard and brittle.
This. Hot rolled or cold rolled are fine. Amazon, Tractor Supply, maybe even the big boxes sell the material.

Here's a hot tip: you can buy a replacement wheel barrow handle from Home depot or Lowes and use it for your handles. A 5' ash handle runs about $14 and makes 4 @ 15" handles.

-Mark

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Thanks so much for the info.

This. Hot rolled or cold rolled are fine. Amazon, Tractor Supply, maybe even the big boxes sell the material.

Here's a hot tip: you can buy a replacement wheel barrow handle from Home depot or Lowes and use it for your handles. A 5' ash handle runs about $14 and makes 4 @ 15" handles.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS