Making Homemade Stain - Success & Failure

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
Never got around to making homemade stain but my friend brought me some walnuts so I decided to make stain with them. Worked great. I boiled them for about 10 min in 1 gal water (20 nuts) then let it steep for 30 min or so. Kept testing by dipping a piece of wood in it until I got the color I wanted. Was not looking for a color in particular but just something I thought looked good. Happy with results.

After that success I tried the vinegar/steel wool to see what would happen. Put a 0000 steel wool pad from my shop in a pint jar & filled with white vinegar. Two days later - nothing, nada. Not sure what happened. Will try again with another vinegar.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
What type of wood did you try to ebonize? The steel wool/ vinegar react to the tannin in the wood. You will get better results if you use a wood with a high tannin content. You can also buy tannin (it is used in wine making) and add it to the surface of any wood.
Be sure to poke a hole in the lid of your vinegar /steel wood mixture. It can create enough pressure to explode if you don't allow it to expand.

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
I put the vinegar/sw in a jar, set it in my shop, and have been working a lot on our garden as it looks like an early spring. Whenever I passed by in the shop I would look at it but not touch. A couple days later I was thinking of trying again with different vinegar so picked up the jar and with that motion the liquid went from clear to brown. I just needed to shake it up. Yea, I felt sorta dumb.

Not really looking to ebonize just get a light brown on some sycamore I was given. I have had a hard time getting a color I like. I think this will work out.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Never got around to making homemade stain but my friend brought me some walnuts so I decided to make stain with them. Worked great. I boiled them for about 10 min in 1 gal water (20 nuts) then let it steep for 30 min or so. Kept testing by dipping a piece of wood in it until I got the color I wanted. Was not looking for a color in particular but just something I thought looked good. Happy with results.

After that success I tried the vinegar/steel wool to see what would happen. Put a 0000 steel wool pad from my shop in a pint jar & filled with white vinegar. Two days later - nothing, nada. Not sure what happened. Will try again with another vinegar.
Were these black walnuts in the husk? The husks hold the most stain.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS