Making Handle for Termite Hollowing tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I had an unused gift card so I wanted to try the termite hollowing tool for endgrain. Didnt want to spend a lot...So I ordered the replacement tip....The tip has a 1/4" shaft with a flat like for a set screw.The little shaft is 5/8" long... With something this small what is the best way to make the handle?Im thinking grabbing a piece of metal and boring a 1/4" hole and and drilling and tapping a hole for a screw....Any ideas appreciated!
https://www.amazon.com/Oneway-Termite-Replacement-Tip-2/dp/B001DT5I4U

JGregJ

Greg
User
I’ve never seen these and would be be interested in how well it works. The pics of their holder looks like metal with hole and set screw, but they also appear to have turned the handle near the tip so it’s the same diameter as the tip. Not sure that matters. One review complained the set screw can vibrate loose in use, although I can’t think of a good way to avoid that.

awldune

Sam
User
Im thinking grabbing a piece of metal and boring a 1/4" hole and and drilling and tapping a hole for a screw....

Doing exactly this should work just fine. This is the way I have made several tools. Lowes, HD, and hardware stores will often carry cold rolled steel bar stock.

It seems to me that you never would really need to remove the tip, so putting some Loctite or even CA glue on it would probably help keep it from loosening. {ETA: It looks like you are supposed to remove it for sharpening so nevermind!}

I am curious about this tool, particularly about how you sharpen it. Let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS