Making a rotary phase converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukebarber

New User
Luke
I have several 3HP 3 phase motors I have collected over the years. Can I just drive one of them with a single phase 220 volt controller? Then use the generated 3 phase current to run any three phase equipment I want to?

I remember a local guy had one he had made. If I remember right he had a blue controller similar to https://www.valinonline.com/products/esv222n02yxb . Could even be the exact one.

I am thinking to just wall mount this unit and run some wiring and plugs through the shop to anything that is 3 phase.

So tell how crazy I am. LOL

I'm basically trying to validate my path.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I have just gone the expensive route and bought a really nice one, rated 10hp, however it has no problem running two 7.5hp shapers plus a 1 hp power feeder all together.

What you want to do will work, but if you want to do it right and proper, you need to correct the phase angle with capacitors, allow for that to shift with load and allow extra capacitors for starting something like a compressor. The latter can be negated if you over size. This is the part that makes it more complicated.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I have several 3HP 3 phase motors I have collected over the years. Can I just drive one of them with a single phase 220 volt controller? Then use the generated 3 phase current to run any three phase equipment I want to?

I remember a local guy had one he had made. If I remember right he had a blue controller similar to https://www.valinonline.com/products/esv222n02yxb . Could even be the exact one.

I am thinking to just wall mount this unit and run some wiring and plugs through the shop to anything that is 3 phase.

So tell how crazy I am. LOL

I'm basically trying to validate my path.

You don't even need to use a controller; you can spin the shaft with your foot to get it spinning in the right direction.

If you really want to build it right though, consider a panel from these folks:

http://www.cromanconverters.com/5hp-Cnc-Balanced-3-Phase-Rotary-Converter-Panel_p_52.html

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
I've built a few over the years and currently run one in my shop. From experience I advise a well made panel with magnetic switching.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I've built a few over the years and currently run one in my shop. From experience I advise a well made panel with magnetic switching.

Stuart, do you have any brands of panels that you recommend? I need to build a 40hp converter to replace my 30 hp. I already have the motor; just need the panel components and would rather buy a kit versus building one from scratch.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Stuart, do you have any brands of panels that you recommend? I need to build a 40hp converter to replace my 30 hp. I already have the motor; just need the panel components and would rather buy a kit versus building one from scratch.

I currently use a Phasecraft, and it's a great quality panel but I think the owner closed up shop and retired. I can find the number if you want to give it a try.

You can also contact any good electric motor shop and they can build one for you.

Otherwise do a web search and look at American Rotary or Phase-a-matic, both are good quality.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Okay, what is so great about these panels? In the past I ran 3-phase through my homemade phase converter. I put a motor starting cap in line with a momentary switch so when I turned on the power to the big 3-phase motor it would start up. When the big motor was going, i would take 3-phase off it for the smaller motors. Worked fine for me, but I only used one tool at a time and the motors on them were maybe 1 hp. The only expensive part was the big motor, all the rest was pretty cheap. 3-phase motors are pretty common and usually inexpensive if they are old.

Roy G

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Okay, what is so great about these panels? In the past I ran 3-phase through my homemade phase converter. I put a motor starting cap in line with a momentary switch so when I turned on the power to the big 3-phase motor it would start up. When the big motor was going, i would take 3-phase off it for the smaller motors. Worked fine for me, but I only used one tool at a time and the motors on them were maybe 1 hp. The only expensive part was the big motor, all the rest was pretty cheap. 3-phase motors are pretty common and usually inexpensive if they are old.

Roy G

Buying a panel kit provides the builder with a phased balanced setup and all of the proper parts. It's about the same price to buy the kit as it is to buy all of the components separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS