Maker's Mark

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had been wanting a custom maker's mark for some time that I could use on hand planes and other tools I've made. These aren't cheap (owing to the fact each one is custom) and there aren't many sources that I've found. An article by Chris Schwarz led me to Mazzaglia Tools. They offer these in several styles and letter sizes.

So, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a stamp. It came about two weeks later (pretty good turn around time for a custom item). It takes a bit of practice to gauge how much force to use. Also, if you don't strike directly in the center one side may not stamp as deep. However, this is easy to fix by realigning the stamp for a second blow. A 3-5lb hammer seems to work best.

I'm posting this information in case anyone else is looking for a source. I would recommend them. They also offer other hard-to-find items for plane making, such as narrow chisels and floats.

IMG_3204.JPG

IMG_3203.JPG

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
My stamp is from a one-day class with blacksmith Peter Ross in Silk Hope, NC. through the Woodwright’s School.

Agree with Jim on hammer size and will add that these stamps work best in end grain. After a little (maybe a lot of) practice, one moderate whack will do.

I use a brass hammer from HF. This hammer also is great for setting holdfasts without marring the holdfast.
92F22BAF-3A67-49C3-9DDC-5FD28D84798F.jpeg

Last edited:

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Jim, thanks for posting this information. I noticed that all of the stamps on the Mazzaglia website are on end-grain, which is also true of your molding planes. Will these stamps work well on long-grain? I currently use a branding iron, but these embossing stamps do look classy.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Will these stamps work well on long-grain?
The stamp came with an instruction sheet that states it works best on end grain. On face grain the mark would not be as distinct. I also have a branding iron and will continue to use that on furniture. I wanted the stamp specifically for tools where I can add a stamp to the end grain.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
is that a 1/16" stamp or 1/8"?
It's the 1/8". I looked at the various stamps on other planes I have and decided 1/16" was too small. The stamp itself is about 3/16" thick.

Update: Just measured. The stamp is 3/16" exactly. The actual height of the letters is closer to 5/32", so a bit over 1/8". The same might be true for the 1/16" lettering.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS