Make a chair with me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTCook

New User
Nick
I'm wondering if a few would be interested in making a Brian Boggs style ladderback with me in my shop?

What I'm thinking is a workshop over 4-5 days that would be spread out over as many months/weeks or whatever length we decide upon. I would explain/demonstrate each step for you on the chair I would be building as a gift for someone and you would then do the same on your chairs. This would probably require a minimum amount of work done by you outside of my workshop simply because I only have 1 lathe, etc. but we can see how that goes.

I can provide the lumber necessary for a very small fee or you can provide your own if you don't want to use red oak. I can have everything rough milled or provide dimensions for rough milling to anyone bringing their own lumber.

Topics covered and skills needed/acquired would be: steam bending, hand planing, card scraper use, hand shaping from square to round with just a drawknife and spokeshave, the use of hide glue, seat weaving, and more. There are a lot of different skills needed to complete the chair but, No prior experience would be required.

This would be a first for me and I am just trying to test the waters as a teacher. Because of this the class would be free but I would highly, HIGHLY recommend a donation to NCWW that reflected a class consisting of 40ish hours total and that allows you to take home a completed chair of your own, plans/jig plans, and the skill to make more chairs. However, I'm relatively new here and I'm not sure how this is normally handled so maybe someone can chime in?

Some photos for reference:

attachment.php

One of my chairs that I recently completed.

attachment.php

A Brian Boggs chair, notice the difference in the top of the rear legs. Brian's is very straight and mine (being based on a Filbeck) is much more curved.

attachment.php

The Russ Filbeck chair that mine is based on. My front legs differ and the flat area/taper on the rear legs extends further down towards the seat on mine.

Attachments

• 20170412_065527.jpg
    20170412_065527.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 274
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 279
  • _775.jpg
    _775.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 271

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Wow Nick....I'd love to do this! The problem is....I'm 2-1/2 hours away. I realize a class maybe once a month doesn't seem too bad...and gee, maybe I'm talking myself into it. Our typical one day workshop donation is $30 to NCWW. I would think for a class like this you will get a long list of people at that donation level. And I would think if you plan to supply the materials it would be quite reasonable to add another cost/donation level for that. That's just my 2cents at this time though. But I would add my name to the list TBD.

NTCook

New User
Nick
I put a lot of time into figuring the jigs and stuff out and I really want to share it all. I looked into getting some help with building this style of chair without taking a 1600 dollar, 1-week course and was told I would never be able to do it without taking the course... challenge accepted. :thumbs_up

Glad to see there is some interest too!

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wow this sounds like a blast, would just have to work out the logistics. Glad to see someone else willing to put it out there and try teaching! Thanks for wanting to share. So when would you want to start such a class?

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I would be interested. I am about 2.5 hours away but could always drive to Rock hill area and stay in a nearby hotel overnight if it could be a couple of weekends.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well, Nick, I am interested. I am not that far from Rock Hill as I live in Charlotte.

szs1217

New User
Zach
I'd be down to let you teach me. I just registered on this website so I have no clue how any of this works. I work at night and juggle a couple of side gigs during the day. But if we could make work for both our schedules I'm definitely in.

thanks
Zach

NTCook

New User
Nick
I was thinking about the end of June or July to get started so we can be wrapped up by the beginning of the holiday season. I want to get my drop ceiling finished in the shop and a bunch of extra lighting added, but we're starting that project this weekend. I'll also be knocking out another shavehorse since I'm not super fond of the one I use now.

Since it is quite obvious this will go ahead (at least at some point) because of all the interest, then I will get a couple of logs lined up and milled soon. Expect me to ask for commitments at the end of May or beginning of June. For those interested, would you prefer a schedule to be set in stone from day 1 or for the next meeting date to be decided upon after each workshop? I think this can be done in 4 days with a little homework but I'm planning on 5 to be safe. Four students would be the maximum my shop could really handle.

I know it seems intimidating, but it is really just an exercise in patience. There isn't a single step that is any harder than following a curved line with the bandsaw. Beyond that it's just knowing what angles to drill at and luckily for you I've gotten all of that figured out already. Truthfully, the hardest part is the weaving.

Also, I'm very happy and excited to see so much interest. This will be a lot of fun.

vinson

Doug
Corporate Member
Nick
I would like to get on the list. I live close enough to do it. The fee should match the instruction hours. So great of you to offer this opportunity.
Doug Vinson, Conover NC

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I would be interested, particularly if it is a single multi-day workshop; I have a travel trailer and would book in at a nearby RV site. I live about 2-1/2 hours away and multiple trips would make it more difficult, plus this style of workshop would benefit from day-to-day continuity. I've been to Brian Boggs shop and studios in Asheville and am familiar with his designs and methods of work. Thanks for offering to share your knowledge.

Rob Payne

NTCook

New User
Nick
Hi Rob, thanks for the interest. As we go along and hammer this schedule out the best I could do is 2 days at a time. I would prefer not to but if that winds up being the best option I can go along with it. Any more than that just isn't possible with my current schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS