Magnolia....Worth It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Has mayone made anything with Magnolia wood? How does it work? Can it be finished without painting it? Are there any photos in the galleries? Any comments...........

The reason I ask is, a cousin that lives near me has three in her yard (one has 4 trunks) and is thinking about having them removed. They really make a mess in the yard. They are not large, probably about 18-20" near the base and about 30' tall. If the wood is worth it, I thought about asking for the wood if she has it removed and take it to a sawyer and get it cut up. The one tree that has four trunks might have some strange grain where the trunks branch off, but I don't turn, so I that is no good to me.

Is the wood going to be worth the effort/costs? Any comments............

Thanks,

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have not made anything with Magnolia wood. But I know that I have seen something posted here using it, maybe the poster will speak up. Magnolia has a grain a lot like Maple, and also a very light color. I know it is often used for turning. I was asked by NCwood to let him know if I ever run accross any, as he has a good demand for it for turning blanks. He can mill the wood if you want to contact him about selling him some.
Dave:)

BobN

New User
Bob
I have turned some Magnolia, but have never made any furniture, boxes, etc. from it. It turns pretty good and would like to get some more for turning.

Below are a couple pictures of a Magnolia bowl.

Bob

Attachments

• P1010029 (755 x 565).jpg
    P1010029 (755 x 565).jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 154
  • P1010030 (755 x 565).jpg
    P1010030 (755 x 565).jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 144
J

jeff...

My opinion - 18"- 20" diameter trunks would make for some nice lumber, see my tag line
"TreeCycle - it just makes sense".

Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Here's so really nice pens turned by JRD in Magnolia. This was the example that I was thinking about.

P1010004_775104.JPG

I too wouldn't mine some turning stock from it also.
Dave:)

JRD

New User
Jim
Splinter,

The pen and pencil Dave O posted are my work.

So far, I've turned both pen/pencils and one or two bowls (because Magnolia is a bit tough to come by.

Personally, I love working with it! It has an unusual grain and color that ranges from grey to cream.

The good, it's easy to work.

The bad, it is subject to tearing out if you go to thin (I've noticed it on several pen/pencils I've made) even having to go back and re-turn several times to finish a job or two.

All said, I enjoy it because it's different and somewhat unusual. I keep my eyes open for tree services cutting it because I like it so much and scarf it up every chance I get.

Jim

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
btw.. this is the perfect time of the year to get magnolia or any white wood..The sugars in the white woods tend to brown or grey stain in the hot summer months which is why you dont sell logs in the summer. If you saw it in the winter and dry it in the cold you will end up with creamy white wood.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Thanks for all the info. If my cousin decides to cut them down and she will let me get the wood I will be asking for advise to pass on to the sawyer on how to best cut up the wood. And I will make some available to the turners. Maybe one day when I grow up I can learn to turn a pen. :lol: I really like what you guys are doing with pens. Hey, maybe if I get this wood I can trade wood for a free pen turning class. :eusa_pray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS