Lumber Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

weelis

New User
weelis
I know this topic of how do I store my lumber has come up many times but,as a newbie, I don't recall reading posts about it. My question is how do y'all out there store/ stack your wood? Are any of the commercial racks any good and if so which ones? Or do you build your own racks and what do they look like? I have lots of questions but few answers. Any input appreciated. Thanx.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I use a couple Triton lumber racks to store long boards (10-12ft). Best price I've found is at Sommerfeld Tools. With four supports (using two kits) it can hold plenty of weight.
rack11.jpg

View image in gallery

For shorter boards (6-9ft) I built some simple storage bays using 2x4, plywood and OSB dividers. You can't really tell from the picture, but the back of the frame tilts out at 7 degrees to make sure nothing falls forward. Vertical storage is a great way to easily sort through boards and cut down on the heavy lifting.

Two of the bays are 2' wide, and one is 4' wide so I can store sheets goods (and drywall...) I plan to add 3-4 bays since I'm already out of space :)

Shorts go in a rolling cart:

I also put a Triton wood rack in the main shop area to hold the boards I'm using for the current project.

Rob

New User
Rob
I built a rack on one side, plywood storage in the middle, and scrap bins on the other side.

woodrack_2_.JPG

woodrack.JPG

eyekode

New User
Salem
I built a lumber rack on my wall and immediately wished I had not :). It is just too tough to sort through the lumber to get the piece you want. Especially if you do it like I did and make a very high lumber rack. I am convinced that a vertical rack is the way to go.

Salem

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
This may be extreme but it is something that I have thought about; consider buying a shed from the BORG. If you have a small shop it may be worth it.

My shop is a 2-car garage which I have to share with 1-car, a hot water heater, a sink, etc so space is at a premium. I try not to buy lumber until I am ready to build but then I miss out on the things like the recent $0.50 / bdft walnut lumber run. You can get a shed for $1000 new and I am sure craigslist can find them even cheaper. It will solve the storage problem and not take away from your shop space.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I have several thousand board feet of oak stored vertically. The nicest thing about vertical is that you can easily pull each board out to look at it and select the best one for your project.

Scott

CDN_Maple

New User
ETN
My lumber rack is horizontal on the wall due to space. If my shop was bigger / taller, I would have built it vertical to be able to sort through the pile of lumber without undoing the entire stack. Again, I want more space......

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
One thing about vertical storage. If you don't have a long wall or several walls the space fills up quickly then gets layered, then piles out into the floor. That's when you have to move 200 board feet of lumber to get to that one board that got trapped against the wall.

And there's no place to move it to. :rotflm:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
One thing about vertical storage. If you don't have a long wall or several walls the space fills up quickly then gets layered, then piles out into the floor. That's when you have to move 200 board feet of lumber to get to that one board that got trapped against the wall.

ahhh.... the voice of experience!:rotflm: I have a large shop BUT I still need a barn!:BangHead:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy

:gar-La;

Heh,heh,heh ! I have my storage vertical and the wall is 11' high and about 24' long so you wouldn't think that I would have the above mentioned problem. I have it sectioned off seperating WO, RO Cherry BW, Cypress, Cedar, etc. which should help, but once you put a few thousand Bd/ft into it, the above mentioned problem comes into effect. But the truth be told is that it's no worse going through that, then it is moving boards on a horizontal storage rack which I also have.
Whatever storage you choose will probaly not be enough as we all end up filling it up, but a real sin is having room on your wood rack :gar-Bi.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Ths is the rack I installed in the garage when the garage was my shop. It is actually 2 racks, each one constructed from one sheet of 3/4" ply. Found the plans on-line somewhere.

FlyingRon

Ron
No pictures, but I attached elfa-style uprights onto each stud and use their shelf standards to hold the wood (no actual shelf). For those of you with no "Container Store" nearby, similar things are available as closet organizers at the borgs (vertical track with two rows of holes all the way down).
Seems to have held up for years under a heavy load.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Look for creative ways to use space. I have an odd little closet-like space off my workshop that has worked out great for large-tool and wood storage. The roll-out sheet-goods rack has worked out really well. I don't remember where I got the idea for that, probably a magazine, but it is genius!

I've got a few pics here:
http://christophermerrill.net/ww/shop/storage1.html

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
My experience with horizontal racks are:

ANY horizontal surface will become cluttered!:help:

The piece I want to use right now is ALWAYS on the bottom!! :icon_scra

Dust LOVES horizontal surfaces! :confused_

I finally just moved all my mess out to the barn and am trying to only bring in what I need for the immediate project. Even more difficult is taking back to the barn what I didn't use!! :rotflm:

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I was a big proponent of vertical stacking. Pictures and a description of my rack are in this thread and a couple of other ones Mike listed so I won't repeat everything, just provide an update and a few additional comments:

Almost four years and many hundreds of board feet later, I am still convinced vertical is the way to go for all the reasons I stated originally.

Vertical may not be possible in shops with low ceilings. The ceiling height slopes from 8' to 10' in the area of my rack.

I added safety chains (almost too late :confused_ ) to the ends of the pipe.

I never added intermediate height bars.

Examine what kind of wood you will be storing and using, and how much of it. Most racks are not intended for wet wood or short pieces.

When I say I stack vertically, I don't mean leaning the boards against the wall. I mean stack them soldier-style with edges towards the wall.

I still need to build a (rolling?) bin for cutoffs.

(Photo taken before the addition of safety chains)

P9240002.JPG

richlife

New User
Rich

When I say I stack vertically, I don't mean leaning the boards against the wall. I mean stack them soldier-style with edges towards the wall.

Now THERE'S a tip for you -- the pic says it all.

But one truth no one mentioned is that you'll probably plan for relatively small storage needs, you should have planned for much larger storage needs, and it won't matter anyway, because there's never enough storage and you're always going to have to fight to find what you want.

Rich (wall storage in the shop -- now removed, ceiling storage in the shop -- now removed, wood bins constantly full, external flat storage always running out of room, "previously owned" steel carport with stickered flat storage and vertical space -- never enough room and always a pain to sort through) :rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS