Lumber Rack *w/pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I got started on my lumber rack this weekend. I made shelf standards from oak- two pieces laminated for strength and to discourage splitting. The standards are roughly 2" X 2." Here are the already stained standards lag bolted to the studs (16" O.C.) on the end wall of the shop. I mounted them high because a rolling sheet goods rack will sit below it.

Woodrack-1.JPG

Woodrack-2.JPG

I drilled holes that will accept 1/2" galvanized pipe at a slight 2 deg. up angle.

Woodrack-4.JPG

Stores closed today before I had a chance to buy the pipe for the shelves. I used a piece of pipe from an old pipe clamp for the shelf in this pic. I haven't decided if I will make the shelf pipes 18" or 24" long; this one is 24".

Woodrack-3.JPG

M

McRabbet

Looking good, Alan -- here's hoping that all of the pipe holes are lined up! With your excellent work, I'm sure that won't be a problem. Looks like an excellent place to store your stock, close to the "power lift" door.

Rob

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
I have to ask. What is the "power lift" door? It looks like a great custom creation of sorts.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I thought about doing that, but was concerned at the pipe not being able to support the amount of lumber I wanted to put on it.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
THAT IS AWESOME!!! What an incredible idea Alan. Thank you Wayne for the link.

Michael

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Looking good, Alan -- here's hoping that all of the pipe holes are lined up! With your excellent work, I'm sure that won't be a problem. Looks like an excellent place to store your stock, close to the "power lift" door.

Rob

I aligned the bottoms of standards while they were laying on the bench, then marked all the holes at the same time with a framing square. I also tried to drill them spot on. I used a laser as a reference to align the bottoms of standards when I mounted them to the wall. I haven't checked them but they should be good.

Travis Porter said:
I thought about doing that, but was concerned at the pipe not being able to support the amount of lumber I wanted to put on it.

The 1/2" galvanized actually has an OD larger than 3/4" with thick walls and I have spaced the standards on the studs at 16" OC, so I think it will be fine. Plus, the vertical spacing between supports is 10" so I shouldn't be able to overload it. Time will tell. Now I need to find some cheap pipe to cut up for supports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS