Lumber Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

I think it is a great idea, but Scott is right about the time issue, especially for BOD members. I'd suggest that Joe post a reply on MrAudio's thread to suggest that a volunteer member of the forum take up the challenge!

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Making it would be half the battle. Maintaining it would be even more daunting I imagine.
But... some appreciate a challenge~

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Making it would be half the battle. Maintaining it would be even more daunting I imagine.
But... some appreciate a challenge~

Yes lumber prices change daily but even if this is updated quarterly I think it could be a useful tool for the members.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Interesting point he brought up.
I have mixed feelings. It might be nice but - we depend on oour advertisers.
Gonna think on this a bit.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I would have to say that we need to protect the interest of our paid advertisers. We have several, actually all of them sell wood. I would hate to lose any one of them. I know Rick and Coleman well enough to say it would more than likely pose a problem.

JMTCW

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have been following this thread and I am still on the fence as to liking or not. I can sure see both sides. Let me think on it some more.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
For me, there is no fence. We charge the paid advertisers $50.00 per month to advertise their products and services. If we post everyone else' prices, then we have collectively given unpaid advertising to many sources. Our paying advertisers would ALL eventually pull their ad and go with the freebie advertising, Cant say as I would blame them. Although this would be a great idea if we had no paying advertisers, I think it would hurt the financial status of our organization greatly.

Although Trent's option is do-able. "What if only paid advertisers were on this list"? Trent, a good idea.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Thanks Tracy. My initial line of thinking was along the same lines as yours. I thought that this list would be a detriment to our paid advertisers. Take this for example. Someone in the Raleigh area was looking for Red Oak. They would likely go straight to Scott Smith's farm as his prices are likely much less than Klingspor, etc. That would be an example of a saw mill under cutting an all around woodworking store on lumber. However, all Scott sells is wood. He doesn't sell anything under the sun related to woodworking. So in that way, Klingspor, Woodcraft, the Woodworking Source and Asheville Hardware could still compete as they are not exactly in the same "league" as a saw mill. And if only paid advertisers could be on that list, I would imagine you would get a lot more paid advertisers. :widea: But, do we really want that many advertisers on the site? Would that lesson the value of the site to the every day user? Perhaps there could be the same amount of ad spaces and the ads would "rotate" among all of the advertisers. :eusa_thin I think it could work and it may just bring in more revenue to the site. After all, most of us would head straight down to Scott's place anyway for red oak. I know I would, and that I learned that from this site. That's one of the reasons I joined was to find out where to get the best prices on lumber.

This would make it more competitive for suppliers in one area, but I think that on a daily basis, we all know where we're going to get what anyway. This could actually give our advertisers more power to get people in their doors. Let's say that sale prices are highlighted in red. If Klingspor decides that they're going to sell walnut for $1.00/ bf for a few days, they'd probably have a parade in their store, but like any other store, they would bet on the fact that these folks would pick up some other stuff while they were there. They're taking a small loss on one particular to thing to drive up the sales on all of their other merchandise. :widea:

Also, this list would require a ton of work to keep it up to date. That's a whole other issue. :swoon:

Just some thoughts..... :eusa_thin

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Tracy, thanks for the push. I am now on your side of the fence. I see this with the potential to hurt us rather then help us.

M

McRabbet

For the record, I oppose the listing since it will adversely impact our advertisers -- I think our listings should be neutral; that's why we have the lists of Sawyers and wood suppliers available -- let the buyer do the legwork on prices.

P.S. -- Just one more reason why our BoD needs to work together!

Last edited by a moderator:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Again, my first instinct was that this list would have an adverse effect on our advertisers. And as they say, "your first instinct is usually right." What I posted earlier was just thoughts. This probably falls into the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" category.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
While this could be a service to our members, I see it as more of a thorn for our advertisers.
In today's world it is a few clicks to get timely information unlike in years past.
It seems although ads may not be popular they play a vital part in our financial support.
By not listing prices we are working to protect their interests as well as our own, and unruffled feathers need less smoothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS