Looking to build an extension table. What kind of material and where to buy it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joekwon80

New User
joe
I'm still rebuilding this unisaw and I'm at the point where I have to build the extension table to the right of the blade. What kind of material should I use and what's a good resource to get it in the RDU area? I was thinking 3/4 birch ply or mdf?

--Joe

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Melamine works well too. 1" is hard to find, but worth looking for. I got my piece from a friend, and don't remember how he found it....

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I bought some phenolic ply from cobble trench in Raleigh. So far, no complaints and no signs of use.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Melamine and phenolic would both be great choices, especially if you can find the 1" stuff. I went the cheap route and used 3/4" MDF because it is dead flat. If you decide to use MDF, the key is to give it a good, rigid support underneath so it doesn't sag. Something like a torsion box works well. Put a good coat of varnish/poly on it.

Bill

joekwon80

New User
joe
Looks like by going the MDF route I'm only saving a few bucks for a product that isn't as sturdy as plywood. Is MDF flatter than plywood? That would be it's biggest selling point for me. I saw that Wurth sells melamine but they can't cut it. Is it safe to cut melamine with a table saw?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Looks like by going the MDF route I'm only saving a few bucks for a product that isn't as sturdy as plywood. Is MDF flatter than plywood? That would be it's biggest selling point for me. I saw that Wurth sells melamine but they can't cut it. Is it safe to cut melamine with a table saw?

In my experience, MDF is flatter and smoother than plywood. Unless you're using it as a workbench (i.e. pounding on it) the sturdiness really won't be an issue. 3/4" MDF is pretty sturdy. I wouldn't build a workbench or furniture out of it, but as a TS extension table, I'm very happy w/ it. This 8'x7' TS surface is 3/4" MDF, and it also serves as an assembly table sometimes.

I've cut melamine w/ a 3/4" particle board core on my table saw w/no problems.

Bill

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I used 2 3/4" sheets of MDF glued together to make a 1-1/2 inch thick surface. I also contact cemented a piece of laminate countertop to the top of that. Makes a very smooth, flat surface. I have some laminate left if you want some of it. Had to buy a 4'x8' sheet at Home Depot and didn't use half of it. I bought some black marble looking stuff, but didn't like the look of it after all and bought a second sheet of plain white laminate that I actually used.

- Ken.

joekwon80

New User
joe
Thanks for the offer Ken! I'll send you a PM if I decide to go that route. I don't trust myself with contact cement and feel like I'd make a lumpy lamination.

I'm gonna go check wurth tomorrow to see what they have.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member

Not the best picture of it, but you can see it to the back of the picture.

Contact cement is not hard to use. I did it outside to avoid the volitility issues with it. Weather is perfect for outside use right now. Just get one of those 3" disposable rollers from Lowes or HD to spread it. If you don't have a J-roller to smooth it out you can get by with a small piece of wood to press out any air bubbles.

Let me know if you want to try it or if you just want to come by and see how I made the extension.

- Ken.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Rick C had a desk he wanted to get rid of. If it's melamine / Formica, the top would make a great ext. table. State Surplus (near fairground on Hwy54 often has just tops (1" thick) for about $5 each. Usually they are 30" X 60."

Angex

New User
Connor
I just made mine out of melamine edged with oak. Since i had bought a full sheet i decided to make an outfeed table also.

joekwon80

New User
joe
junquecol, how do I go about buying things from the state surplus? Is it open to the public or do I have to register or anything? Who is this rick c you speak of? Is that his username on ncwoodworker.net?

Angex that's exactly what I want to build as well. A rh extension table and an outfeed table to match.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
junquecol, how do I go about buying things from the state surplus? Is it open to the public or do I have to register or anything? Who is this rick c you speak of? Is that his username on ncwoodworker.net?

Joe

Here is a link to the NC State Surplus site.

NC Department of Administration - State Surplus Property

It is open to the public.

RickC...a NCWW member did have a desk available but has since let it go. (The thread mentioning this was closed last week.)

Wayne

joekwon80

New User
joe
Went to state surplus yesterday! Need to take my hand tools next time to remove the desktops. Can't beat that deal, I can get 2 laminated table tops for 10 bucks. I even asked if I could throw the legs in their dumpster and the guy there told me that was fine!

Going back on Monday to get a couple tops.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Went to state surplus yesterday! Need to take my hand tools next time to remove the desktops. Can't beat that deal, I can get 2 laminated table tops for 10 bucks. I even asked if I could throw the legs in their dumpster and the guy there told me that was fine!

Going back on Monday to get a couple tops.

:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Sometimes hit 'r miss.

Sounds like you got lucky and scored!

Wayne

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
My original extension table was melamine-

P5060060.JPG

I found it too heavy, it sagged easily since it was not well supported, and the melamine coating very thin and not nearly as durable as Formica style high pressure laminate. I built my new table from 1/2" MDF covered with laminate and backed it with a grid made from 1//2" hardwood. Unlike a true torsion box, it has no bottom skin, otherwise I would have made the grid from 1/2 MDF too.

I made a simple spacing jig that allowed me to cut the interlocking grid in just a few minutes. Most of these picks and info are in this old thread.

Extension Table:

P5170025.JPG

P5220039.JPG

Beginnings of the larger outfeed table- grid:

P5200028.JPG

Grid cutting jig:

P4290039.JPG

P10100792.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors