Looking to borrow/rent/buy an engine Hoist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Roche

jim
User
I just purchased a new to me 14" Radial Arm Saw :gar-La;and took the legs off the stand for the ride home, plus I want to put casters underneath it. The only safe way I can think of getting this off the truck is with an engine hoist. If I had one of those, I could lift the saw out of my truck and attach the legs/wheels and then set it on the ground.

Best case scenario would be to borrow/rent one for the afternoon but am open to buying one if I have to but would prefer it to be a foldable one. Hoping to find one around the Raleigh/Cary/Garner area but beggers can't be picky!:notworthy: I'm open to any other options that you guys can think of. Thanks in advance.

Jim

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm at work the rest of this evening, but could help in the morning. I bought a 2 ton engine hoist at HF about a month ago to unload a Grizzly planer.

Or you could buy the same one at HF if they still have any in stock. Don't get the 1 ton unit. The boom is not long enough. I found the 2-ton on sale for $199 and then got another $40 off with a 20% discount by joining their Insiders club. Club cost $20 to join but then saved about $50 overall on the hoist and straps.

Send me a PM if you want to try to do something tomorrow.

- Ken.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Also, several of the local rental places have them for rent. Grand Rental Station had one for about $20 for 4 hours I think.

- Ken.

Jim Roche

jim
User
WOW.... 2 offers in a matter of minutes! Thanks so much guys, I've got it worked out and hopefully have it plugged up and running tomorrow. What a great place, Thank you!:thumbs_up

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Jim - did you buy Jay's (jwaterdawg's) 14" Delta RAS ?If so, I have the same one if you need some info.

An engine hoist is a great addition to the shop for anyone moving big tools :thumbs_up but I have found I can unload these heavy RASs myself using simple 2x ramps and heavy duty sawhorses. Let me know if you need details (but use a hoist if available).

I recommend you remove the saw carriage before you lift the saw, or at least block it securely in place - don't rely on the arm lock.

If buying an engine hoist, I have and like the generic 2-ton foldable shop crane. I have the "Big Red" brand from Pep Boys. Buy a load leveller too !

-Mark

Jim Roche

jim
User
Hey Mark, thanks for the heads up. I used to have a hoist and then in a weak moment got rid of it because I knew I had all the large equipment that I wanted/needed..... and look at me now!

I did not buy Jay's RAS. A buddy of mine bought a big shaper from a guy and that same guy also had the RAS, so I bought it from him. I have a 10" and have been kind of looking for a 12" and this one popped up.

Once I get it in place, I'll probably reach out to you to get some info. Thanks for the offer.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS