Looking for wood for rolling pins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danagawa

New User
D
I am looking for some hard maple or other food safe woods that I can make some rolling pins. My family has asked me to make a few and they like one that my mother has. It is 18in long and almost 3in thick. Anyone know where I can get some blanks like this in the Winston Salem area or nearby? Thanks for reading

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Danny,

You might try West Penn Hardwoods. I understand that they have a bin with 3" thick dowels that are 36" long for $10 each. These are not first quality, but it sounds like they would be perfect for your situation. I did not see them when I was in there last, but they are supposed to be located near the inside door to the second warehouse.

Steve

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Our friends at the Hardwood Store in Gibsonville (see ad on the right side of this page) list Hard Maple in 12/4 and 16/4 for what seems like a very reasonable price and don't forget as DQ you get a discount there.

According to their website they deliver to both Triangle and Triad for a $59 flat fee if you want to save the gas driving there.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Woodcraft stocks base ball bat blanks that are about 36" long, in both Ash and Hard Maple. The easiest way to turn a rolling pin is to use lathe and a router. For bearings, I like the nylon rod stock I get from ENCO. It's exactly .750 in diameter, which make sizing holes easy. Because drilling bearing hole is into end grain, my weapon of choice is a plunge router.

Danagawa

New User
D
image.jpgimage.jpg
I got some 3 by 3 by 36in cherry and hard maple today at west penn. feeling pretty good about it

Danagawa

New User
D
Hard maple is $26. That is the price for hard maple in general. I found a few that were curly and they didn't up charge me for that. The cherry is $29 for regular cherry and $58 for figured. There was some in the plain stack that had some figure and I bought a few of those, but the one in the picture was one from the figured stack. The picture doesn't do it justice, it is a crazy amount of figure.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Am I mis-understanding are you saying 2.25 board feet of figured Cherry cost $58? ($25.78 / bd. ft.) (Or did I calculate that incorrectly?)

And the maple was 11.55 / bd. ft.? ($26 / 2.25)

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Hank, when it comes to pricing hard wood, "thick is the trick." Thicker it is, the more per board foot it costs.

JGregJ

Greg
User
I was thinking rolling pins might make a good project some day, so looking forward to seeing your finished project. While a solid piece is an obvious choice, I've wondered if laminating several thinner boards would also be an option?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hank, when it comes to pricing hard wood, "thick is the trick." Thicker it is, the more per board foot it costs.
I know, and the wood / figure is beautiful, but as my wife says - "you are just out of touch with what things cost these days..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS