Looking for some cypress

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I'm looking for some cypress in the Raleigh area, I only want 50-100 bd/ft of 4/4. Traveling no more than 45 minutes if possible.

Thank you in advance.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Klingspor had a good stock the last time I was in there. I would give them a call to check, as their stock varies.
Dave:)

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
If you can go down to Ivey's it's worth the trip. But if you need to work it now klingspor's is a better choice.

PS: Jimmy, isn't cypress a member of the pine family? Remember what you said?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
If you can go down to Ivey's it's worth the trip. But if you need to work it now klingspor's is a better choice.

PS: Jimmy, isn't cypress is a member of the pine family? Remember what you said?

I know that you're just giving Jimmy some good natured ribbing...which he deserves.

But the only similarity that Pine and Cypress have is that they are both Conifers (cone bearing trees) and are classed as softwoods due to that.
Cypress lumber comes from either the Bald Cypress - Taxodium distichum or Pond Cypress - Taxodium ascendens. Both having the rare distinction of losing their needles in the winter.
Cypress is in the Cupressaceae family. Where Pine is in the Pinaceae family and Pinus genus.

Sorry, more worthless italicized information from the plant geek.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I know that you're just giving Jimmy some good natured ribbing...which he deserves.

But the only similarity that Pine and Cypress have is that they are both Conifers (cone bearing trees) and are classed as softwoods due to that.
Cypress lumber comes from either the Bald Cypress - Taxodium distichum or Pond Cypress - Taxodium ascendens. Both having the rare distinction of losing their needles in the winter.
Cypress is in the Cupressaceae family. Where Pine is in the Pinaceae family and Pinus genus.

Hey Dave, no wonder you are a beer drinker:dontknow:, barley and hops are plants, right:icon_scra:rotflm:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy

Yeah Geoff ......What he said:wtongue:.

Thanks Dave, I'll check out Klingspor. I'd like to go down to Ivey's, but it's not going to happen until I need more than 50 bd/ft.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jimmy if Klingspor does not have what you need I would try East Wake Hardwood.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I just got a phone call from Jack Murdock (saw4you) and he said that he probably has around 2000 bd/ft of 4/4, 5/4, and 8/4 for $1.25/bdft. I loved his ambrosia maple and walnut, so I think that I'm heading up there this week.

Thanks everybody.

Outa Square

New User
Al
I would get some cypress as i would like to try this:

The lacy grain of cypress finishes up with a remarkable effect in what is called the Sugied Cypress. The wood is burned over some with the flame of a blow torch which burns the soft parts but not the hard. A soft wire brush is then used to remove the charcoal resulting between the hard streaks of wood. When clean the wood is given a filler or toner coat which lodges in the depressions burned out and gives a contrast to the darker ridges of grain figure. White shellac and wax or flat varnish are then used to finish the surface. This interesting finish cannot be duplicated with any other wood.

Although the last sentence says it can not be duplicated with other woods, i tried with some eastern red cedar scraps i had and that was cool... cypress has a lacier grain pattern... so that should be neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS