Looking for Small Tablesaw

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I am looking for a small tablesaw maybe something like a small contractor saw. But I am open to all ideas. I want something I can move around somewhat easily. The only tablesaw I have ever had was a Craftsman one that you put or attached a skil saw to it. It served its purpose back then. I wouldn’t be ripping large boards on it….just small scale ripping etc.

Thanks in advance!!!

Whitfield

Wells T.
User
I am looking for a small tablesaw maybe something like a small contractor saw. But I am open to all ideas. I want something I can move around somewhat easily. The only tablesaw I have ever had was a Craftsman one that you put or attached a skil saw to it. It served its purpose back then. I wouldn’t be ripping large boards on it….just small scale ripping etc.

Thanks in advance!!!
Hi Mike,

I've got a Delta contractor's saw that I haven't used much since I upgraded to a Sawstop. If you're interested, PM me and I can zap you some details.

Wells

Flute Maker

Mike
User
He had one but changed his mind. I’m still looking and I’m sure could give someone a good trade sort of deal if the right saw was found. I just need a small one to rip some boards
I never need to rip long wide boards plus don’t have room in my shop for a large saw. Thanks in advance!!!

shanghaipete

Pete
User
I also have a delta contractors saw on a mobile base that has been pretty good that I'm not currently using. PM me and I'll send you some pictures and more about it.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Consider seeking out an old Delta tilting table saw. The motor is on the stand and not out the back. The tables are usually small. If in good condition, they are quite accurate. For extra floor space, the fence bars can be unscrewed and stored until needed.

tilty.jpg

Howie

Howie
Senior User

Thanks in advance!!!

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Seems to me your use-case, as described, is for a table top portable universal motor type saw. Tons of brands, certainly available new or used. Not what most of us want in a TS, but l'm guessing that is what you are describing.
Facebook or Craigslist has plenty of options for used ones l think, maybe a few close enough to you.

Last edited:

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
As to value in today's world of plastic and aluminum claptrap, that price is a screaming steal. You can sell the jointer alone for $100.00 and move the table saw over on the stand. I'll admit the fence isn't the greatest compared to what's available on $4000.00 saws but it will do nicely. I think this will be the closest thing you'll find to a perfect saw for your needs and the price is right.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have worked on several portable table saws over the years that meet the criteria of easy to move around with the added ability to hook up dust collection. I currently own the Bosch with the gravity rise folding stand. It’s a very solid saw for your needs. The one I own now is 17 years old and is showing no sign of stopping. Dewalt has some solid features and other than getting used to how its features are laid out it a strong contender. Saw Stop has a portable saw that scores high marks in its use. Skill has a job site saw that is a worm drive and it produces some really nice cuts. I have had the pleasure of using all of these saws and they would do well in your shop and give you a lot of years of service. Price points vary in these products and I don’t want to get caught up in the various values. You know what you want to spend, and I’m just point out a few options. Good luck and please share your adventure with the rest of the class.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I’d like to bring up a point that a 60 year old saw has its risks, not the least of which is the lack of safety features such as a riving knife and glade guard.

You know you’re work. If you’re not dealing with heavy tasks like ripping 8/4 hardwood, then you might consider a compact saw. I wouldnt normally recommend them but they can be perfectly usable in a small shop doing light work. Yes, they have their limitations & I would’t consider them full flight “woodworking” saws, but there are some decent ones.

Probably the only two I’d even consider is SawStop and DeWalt. And I would do a personal assessment on the SawStop decision. If you are like me at an age where the mental acuity isn’t what is was, or you’re an infrequent user, then you have to ask yourself how much the insurance of a SawStop is worth and how much it would ease the mind of a loved one?

After you get over the price tag, maybe those questions will change your mind. I know it did for me.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors