:Looking for opinions (I know there are lots of them here!)

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I did this a while ago.
I was thinking of painting the houses etc. on the bottom with a watercolor wash to add some depth. My wife hates the idea. She likes it as it is.
What do you guys think?

Starry Night.png

RickR

Rick
Senior User
If you are still wanting to highlight the houses maybe consider some light pyrography (assuming the wife approves).

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
If color is what you want to add to me it should be subtle. Might think of burnishing with dry pigment ... then you can make the colors muted but there. That way, it does not make it a focal point in the piece

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Maybe use a Wood burner to highlight the houses? This would add more contrast.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I think this is a problem a lot of us have is not being able to leave a project alone, we have created something we think looks good but could use that little extra something to take it over the top. Next thing you know you have a car with spinning hubcaps and it's gone too far and there is no return. Finding that happy point of being done with something and moving on from it is tough, lucky for you sounds like your wife has told you where that point is :cool:

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I have used these to touch up nicked finishes. Experiment on a separate piece first, then add just enough to the houses to give them definition.

1645803403352.png

jerrye

New User
Jerry
I think the wash would add dimension and bring out the scenery. On the other hand, it looks great as is.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I think the only answer is to leave it alone.
And make another one to stain or paint or burn details and see the difference side by side.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think the only answer is to leave it alone.
And make another one to stain or paint or burn details and see the difference side by side.
Along the lines that Mike suggested, I have seen but have no experience with photo editors that allow you to change colors on certain parts of the pictures. Might be worth googling that.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Along the lines that Mike suggested, I have seen but have no experience with photo editors that allow you to change colors on certain parts of the pictures. Might be worth googling that.
Good idea. Gave it a quick try and I don't like it. I did another one where I just cranked up the contrast on the lower part and I liked that option. So, I think I'll experiment (on another piece) with a very thin brown stain and wipe it right off so it just stays on the crevices and see how that looks.

Attachments

• Starry Night Colors.png
    Starry Night Colors.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 103

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Good idea. Gave it a quick try and I don't like it. I did another one where I just cranked up the contrast on the lower part and I liked that option. So, I think I'll experiment (on another piece) with a very thin brown stain and wipe it right off so it just stays on the crevices and see how that looks.
That, is a good idea!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors