Looking for my Nich

Status
Not open for further replies.

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
Hi all, any of you folks got any ideas of some kind of nich market I might want to get into with my sawmill?:eusa_thin I am looking for customers everyday and things are slow so far.:crybaby2:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would have to say, kiln-dried rough cut boards. There aren't enough folks out there providing the dried wood. And on top of that cut some turning blanks..those you won't have to dry.
My $.02, Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
I would have to say, kiln-dried rough cut boards. There aren't enough folks out there providing the dried wood. And on top of that cut some turning blanks..those you won't have to dry.
My $.02, Dave:)

There is a lack of folks offering kiln-dried rough cut boards, but that would change the "we come to you, no need to bring us the tree and come back to pick up the cut boards" aspect. Still, offering it as an additional option would be good.

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
Cathy has a good point, and Dave with his unlimited wisdom has a great idea. I am new to woodworking and I wish I could help more. You could talk to some contractors in your area and offer your services if the need comes up. I know a guy who had a crew from tenn come in and build his house. Exposed beams and rafters. Beautiful house. All the timber for the house was cut from trees on his property. You could cut thin material for scroll work, if you have a little bit left over that is too thin to sell. Go to Business Cards - VistaPrint - Cookies Required and get free business cards. All you pay is shipping. Put them at local stores. Get a pay website, its not too expensive. Build up traffic for the site. Find any crafts or woodworking groups in your area and offer your services. Cut people discounts until you get your name out there.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
I just had some logs cut up last month, and the sawyer that came to my house told me about his plans to build a solar kiln on his property. He said that so many people had inquired about it, that he decided to build one.

He also has found a niche with a sharpening business also. This way he sharpens his own band saw blades and gets paid to sharpen other people's blades too. Good Luck!

davisjarrett

New User
Jarrett
Randy,

I went and looked at your website, and it seems that your shop is just a few miles from a house that I am building that is requiring some timbers on some gables and some other posts. I was considering looking at a shop in Statesville, but since you came to the right place....:-D PM me when you get a chance and I will see when we can hook up.

Jarrett

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
Hi Jarrett, I have the next 4 days off work and will be milling and other stuff around the mill, stop by any time. I might have what you need here now. or maybe we can cut it for you.

J

jeff...

Butcher - exposed timber building is really starting to gain some speed. You may want to try and hook up with some custom builders in your area and see if there is a need and what they require. There are a few problems that present themself with milling big timbers. First of all when green they are freaking heavy, I would think the timbers are going to need to be dried to 14-16% MC, a thick timber can take a long time to get to 14-16% MC air drying (years). I would also expect if you were selling directly to a builder they would want the timbers planed, but maybe they would like the rough cut look too?

Kiln dried furniture grade rough cut lumber is pretty high in demand, most wood workers already have a jointer and planer and are more than happy to machine rough cut lumber in exchange for lower material costs. But there is not much intrest in Green lumber unless it's something unusual or a species that does better with air drying such as walnut. Try and hook up with some local cabinet shops and see if there is a demand there.

You may also want to check some of your local pallet making companies, I know of one in my area that will take all the 4x6-36 green lumber I can supply them and they write a check upon delivery. I've never taken any of my stuff up there myself, but I rode along with a local sawyer freind and was pretty impressed the way it all worked. He basicly supplies them with his low grade cants.

If you can make 2x6 wedges, or crib blocks theres a pretty big market in the coal mining industry. My uncle makes a pretty good living at it and has a reseller that will take all he can supply.

White oak rough cut green fence boards and barn material also sell pretty well.

Some manufactruring companies will buy green rough cut which they make into shipping containers, check around.

If I think of anymore, I'll let you know.

Persoanlly, I think it's just a matter of time and networking, you'll find a nich market.

Thanks

chris99z71

New User
Chris
You may also want to check with any tree removal companies. A guy I know in Raleigh does tree removal and works with an on-site sawyer with his big stuff.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Another thing to consider if using timber in load support situation is make sure it is legal. If the wood is harvested on the land of the individual and sawn for that individual you can in NC use said lumber for construction if it is considered air dried. However note that using lumber you saw thats not grade stamped and not kiln dried does pose a serious risk if it fails structurally and more than likely you can be sued and the state will more than likely pursue other charges.

Not much + side for green lumber unless you sell to big aggregaters and dont expect much in terms of payment.

If you saw for a pallet company do as jeff stated and get payment at time of delivery. NEVER extend terms to a pallet company.

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
I have 10,00bf of red oak logs that need to be cut. The logs are in Ashboro. More where that came from.

I have sent you an email which bounced back and a PM which I hope you got.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS