Looking for an air brad gun combo kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick M

New User
Rick
I have the Bostitch combo and have no complaints but I've only owned it a few months. Well the only complaint is the brad nailer needs a lot of pressure to reliably sink nails. I also have a Shop Fox brad gun that drives brads better and more reliably but is also 2x as heavy.

ehpoole

Ethan
I have the Bostitch combo and have no complaints but I've only owned it a few months. Well the only complaint is the brad nailer needs a lot of pressure to reliably sink nails. I also have a Shop Fox brad gun that drives brads better and more reliably but is also 2x as heavy.

I have an older Bostitch set (back when the nailers were all oiled types) and have never had any issues whatsoever and enjoy using them all (most of my nailers are Bostitch brand). The air compressor is their older oil-free design and differs a bit from the newest model (but still 6 gallon pancake), though the only issue I have had with it in the past 8-9 years was a stripped thread on the regulator knob that required replacement (it was manufactured a bit out of tolerance), but parts for these compressors tend to be readily available. Be aware that these compact portable compressors tend to be well optimized for nailers but not so much other pneumatic tools as their small regulators have a fair bit of pressure drop when paired with a tool that requires a large sustained air volume (but they are perfect for nailers and other impulse tools).

When you say your nailers need a lot of pressure, can you quantify that as 90-100 PSI is typical operating pressure for most pneumatic nailers -- do yours require substantially more than that? New oil-less nailers may be a little tight when brand new as they break in and the seals conform to the cylinder, but I would not expect them to require a significantly higher than normal pressure for typical hardwoods.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Didn't buy it as a kit but I really like the Porter Cable 23 gauge nailer - it will handle 1-3/8" (I think) brads and works very well. I also used to use a PC pancake compressor with it that went up to 150 PSI. Worked well. I have a larger Compressor in the shop now and moved the pancake to the garage to inflate tires as needed.

I have 23, 18, and 16 gauge nailers but probably use the 23 the most. Like those almost invisible holes when holding molding while the glue sets.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I have the Bostitch combo also Mark. Pancake type compressor, brad nailer, finish nailer, and stapler. I don't remember the price, but it was all a package, and on sale at the BORG. I've been quite satisfied with all the guns and the compressor. Now I wish I had a pin nailer, but then it's a matter of I don't really need it, I just want it. :rolf:

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I bought a Stanley/Bostitch combo kit back in 1999 at Lowes for $59 - today, that nail gun alone runs $99 on Amazon. The pancake compressor gave out after a year, I replaced it with a Bosch compressor. I have never had any trouble with the nail gun and will continue to use it well into the future. While is is not a pin nailer, it has fit my needs until I need something smaller. Click on the link below for a comparison on pin nailers:

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/mid-priced-23-gauge-pin-nailer-review/

Rick M

New User
Rick
When you say your nailers need a lot of pressure, can you quantify that as 90-100 PSI is typical operating pressure for most pneumatic nailers -- do yours require substantially more than that? New oil-less nailers may be a little tight when brand new as they break in and the seals conform to the cylinder, but I would not expect them to require a significantly higher than normal pressure for typical hardwoods.

115-120 psi for the Bostitch to reliably sink 1-1/4" brads, @ 90-100 and I have to come behind and set some below the surface manually. The Shop Fox will put a brad halfway through a board at 120, but it weighs at least twice as much. So what I've done is put 5/8 brads in the Bostitch and longer brads in the Shop Fox so I can turn the pressure down a bit.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
My 18 gauge pneumatic is a PC and it works fine. But I don't use it, I use my Ryobi cordless. Very nice to not have to run the compressor. But I think everybody should have multiple nailers. I have 23 (Bostitch), 18 (PC), 16 (Bostitch), and framing (Rigid). I also have a few staplers including two flooring staplers. Three of the staplers are Harbor Freight. One won't drive the 1.5 inch staples it is rated for but does fine with 3/4. One is a bit finicky about having a full load of staples. One works fine. HF stuff is cheap and worth the price but kind of hit and miss on capacity, in my experience. My other brands have all been fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors