Looking for a wide idler pulley for stroke sander

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanR

New User
Dan
Hi Folks,
I am looking for an idler pulley for a six inch wide sanding belt. the top middle wheel in this picture is missing:

strokeSander.png

I bought this stroke sander on Sunday and when I put it together found that the belt is loose. I found the original plans (and this picture) in Fine Woodworking number 3 (Summer 1976). The seller is checking into it, but he got it from a friend in Florida, so shipping may be a killer if the wheel is down there.

The wheels were made by Mooradian Manufacturing Company (MMC) in Los Angeles and are 7 inches deep.

Thanks,
Dan

jhreed

New User
james
Do you have the shaft & bracket, just missing the pulley? Take shaft & bracket plus one of the pulleys to Motion Industries in Raleigh and they should be able to identify & match it.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Over the years, ShopNotes / Woodsmith have done a couple of belt sanders. For the pulleys, they stacked, and glued MDF circles, and added a ball bearing to each end. Somewhere here, I have the issues containing the articles.

DanR

New User
Dan
Thanks James, I will check them out.

Thanks Bruce, there is a good article in Fine Woodworking number 6. My stroke sander is from number 3, and uses store bought wheels, but the one in number 6 uses pine glued and screwed to form a square and then turned to a wheel. I may give that a shot.

I spoke to the previous owner, and he called the guy who made it. It never had the third wheel, instead he had a platen with rounded edges sticking out from the beam across the top to slide the belt up and out of the way. Graphite coated (embedded I guess is a better term) in canvas (same as covers the hand platen) was wrapped over the platen to reduce the friction. I may give this a shot also.

Tracking and tension can then be handled with the right hand wheel as it has adjustments for these.

Thanks again,
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors