Looking for a Hollow Chisel Mortiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Augie

New User
Augie
I am going to atempt to make 5 Dinning room chairs out of pecan to match the live edge table I made. There for lots of M/T to cut and I don't want to do it by hand. Looking for a use one that someone may want to get rid of.

Thanks
Augie

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a Steelex floor model mortiser. It works very well, but I rarely use it. You can give it a test drive

Augie

New User
Augie
Phil

Thanks for the offer but a 3 hour drive to cut some mortises may be a bit much. :wsmile: I live clear down on the coast near Morehead City

NTCook

New User
Nick
Have a Jet benchtop model that's like brand new and I would be willing to ship if you're interested. I'm selling because I purchased a Domino and built a router based mortiser so it just sits unused. Has 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 chisels and Rockler diamond honing bits.

Can send photos/info, just PM me if you want to see it.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
IMO the bits are the critical. Whatever unit you get, be sure to use high quality bits. I've had good luck the Jet.

Regardless, you will need to tune them up before using. I recommend diamond honing cones for sharpening. Also, hone and polish the outside surfaces of the chisel using stones.

In a hard wood like pecan you have to go slow to avoid overheating the chisel.

Have you considered a router jig with floating tenons?

Augie

New User
Augie
IMO the bits are the critical. Whatever unit you get, be sure to use high quality bits. I've had good luck the Jet.

Regardless, you will need to tune them up before using. I recommend diamond honing cones for sharpening. Also, hone and polish the outside surfaces of the chisel using stones.

In a hard wood like pecan you have to go slow to avoid overheating the chisel.

Have you considered a router jig with floating tenons?

Rwe2156

Thanks for the advice, now you have me trying to figure out a router jig to cut the mortises :wconfused: an upcut spiral bit would be cheeper that a mortis machine. (LOL)

JimD

Jim
Senior User
For chairs, I think a router with a jig makes a lot of sense. The mortises are fairly small and you will be duplicating things multiple times. I have made 8 chairs of a Woodsmith design I like using the same jig with a template guide and 1/4 upcut spiral bit so far. I have a hollow chisel mortiser but I don't use it for these chairs.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
If Augie doesn't want it I am interested. I have a brand new Rockler HVLP spray kit if you want to consider a trade.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Don't dismiss Phil's hospitality and his shop, well worth the drive. Luckily I'm only about 40 mins. And he's not such a bad guy either.... :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS