Line and Berry Inlay Dining Room Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Furjanic

Matt
Senior User
Finished as a Christmas gift for my daughter...
The table top is constructed in five sections (nice for disassembly and transport - I had to take this to Maryland in my small mini-van).
The primary wood is all solid North Carolina walnut.
All the walnut came from Kyle Edwards. If you folks near Charlotte do not know Kyle, you should get to know him. He's a great guy and will give you an honest price on fine raw lumber - he is also a member of NCWW.
The design is "Line and Berry" inlay using motifs from 18th-century Pennsylvania furniture.
The line inlays are 1/16 holly. The berries are holly and southern red cedar.
The 1/16 inlay channels done with a small palm router and a homemade circle jig.
The berries were cut with a 1/2" plug cutter, and set in 1/2" forstner bit holes.
The bandings are bird's-eye maple. The maple banding complements the walnut nicely and just shimmers with figure. These are simply inlayed using a 1/2" router bit to plow the channels; square up the corners, carefully miter the corners and glue in the banding.
All the wood work was done using very modest tools: An old craftsman 10" table saw, 12" band saw, a 6" jointer, 12" portable planer, small thickness (drum) sander, palm router, belt sander, small delta drill press, and various hand tools.
Now I have to get started on making some chairs - maybe future Christmas gifts!!!
Table1.jpg

table2.jpg

table3.jpg

table4.jpg

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Very nice :thumbs_up

The last picture really shows the figure in the maple. Great contrast!

pete

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Absolutely gorgeous, Matt!!!:wsmile:

Please save a photo for the 2011 NCWoodworker calendar submission.

:notworthy:Your inlay work is pure art and that walnut is an awesome canvass.:notworthy:

Thanks for sharing pictures of such a beautiful piece!

Wayne

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow, that is really cool. I love the inlays. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Any ideas whatcha gonna do for chairs?

chuck

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Very nice, Matt!

I like that circle thingy; do you have a layout for it you could share?

Keeping in mind that 24mm is still not 1/2"! :gar-Bi

Matt Furjanic

Matt
Senior User
Sure Joe! Here's a pic of the way I did the "circle thingy" - using a small router with a homemade base (made from inexpensive 1/4" thick kitchen cutting boards - bought at wal mart) for doing circles and arcs. Notice the layout of 45 degree segments: Using a small nail as the pivot point for the router base, the nail is driven into the area where one of the berries will be inlayed. The nail hole then becomes invizible as the berry is inlayed over the pivot point. Eight of these 1/16" wide channels are made for the holly line inlay material. They will naturally intersect into the final pattern.
circlethingy.jpg

The six-segment arc design
sixsegemnt.jpg
is actually a bit more difficult as the pivot point (and the nail hole) for one arc, is in the center of the next arc's channel, necessitating the measurements for the 60 degree layout be precise...
There is a article in August/September 2009 American Woodworker mag explaining this in detail.
routing.jpg

Doing the corner arcs are much easier; although it is nerve-racking doing the last one - lest you slip and ruin the whole thing!
corner.jpg

PS: The finish is Minwax wiping polyeurethane...

mikeacg

New User
Mike
2010 just started and I already learned something! Thanks for sharing Matt! The table looks great!
:icon_thum

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Outstanding, beautiful job. I now have another New Year resolution - I am going to try to learn how to do that. Thanks

Dragon

New User
David
Not much I can say to add to what's already been said. Absolutely beautiful and very talented and imaginative work.
:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
WOW!!! :swoon: That is incredible! Absolutely stunning! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Sharp!! I can see how one little slip, or sneeze, during the routing process would be a big mess! Very high level of precision with this work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS