Lee Valley Modular Tool Rest for HF 34706 Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwill48

James
I've been wanting a differert tool rest for my HF 34706. :tool:The tool rest that comes with the lathe is ok but I wanted something shorter, for things like penturning. But the issue was that the HF lathe takes a 25mm post and not the standard 1" post. I knew that I could reduce the dia. of the 1" post to make it work on the 25mm HF banjo but I came accross the Lee Valley Modular Tool Rest System.

They sell a 25mm post, Threaded Post, 25mm dia. (4-3/4")
85S08.56 for $13.20 and a range of tool rest legnths along with S curves and box rest. I ordered the tool post and a 6" Straight Support 85S08.33. This was not cheap at $33.50. So with shipping you can say that the total cost was $50.00. I was surprised that when I recieved it that this system was made by Robert Sorby.:mrgreen:

The 1st thing I did was screw the Tool Rest on the Tool Rest and check the center height. Appox 1" to high after saying a few no so nice words, I picked up a file and found that the Tool Post was not hardened. :eusa_clap I then precedded to cut 1" off the bottom of Tool Post, I then smoothed and flattend the Tool Post base put a relieved the sharp edge and now with my largest tool and the Tool Post at it lowest I was right where I wanted to be about 1/2" below center. This gives me plenty of range for different tools, such as a skew (one day I'll use one of these).

The Tool rest is harden Steel, a file would not leave a mark, which means that it should be nick free even with square edged tools.

For the HF 34706 lathe this is a great addition for those of use who want different Tool Rests but were limited because of the metric size of the Tool Post. I plan in the future to order the 4" and 9" straight support and a inside "S" curve for bowls and maybe the Box support. I will add these one at a time as they are pricey. :wconfused: But then what isn't in woodturning. The other nice thing about this system is that by adding diff. dia Tool Post's you can use it on diff lathes and use the smae Tool Rest's.:thumbs_up

James

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks for that information James. I have been wanting an alternative to the stock tool rest with my HF lathe. I would have ran out and got a standard 1" post and been very frustrated.
I should be having some birthday tool money coming soon, and now I know what I am getting myself.
Dave:)

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Great score, James:icon_thum! No suckage without pics, though...

I too wanted a shorter rest for pen turning on my HF lathe. After buying (and returning) a 1" from WC:slap:, I ordered the standard replacement rest from HF. Cost me $8.50 plus shipping $5.00. I cut the ends off with a hacksaw, filed the edges, sprayed a little flat black paint on it and I'm tickled pink! It fits perfectly between the taper and the brass nut on the mandrel and can sneak right up to the blank.

Take care,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors