Learning question

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
I am new to turning and have produced 20 or so spindles with success. I am trying out face turning and experimenting on scraps. My first scrap is ceder but the soft wood and plethora of knots are problematic, it seems. Am I just complaining or should I try to experiment of a species that has better qualities?

Suggestions are appreciated.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Ummm hard to know without seeing your scraps John. But I'll tell you that I turned a bunch or scraps too - maple, pine, oak. Of course I made a lot of the rookie mistakes - without injury thankfully.

So I can endorse your approach - turn scraps to figure out all the bevel rubbing techniques.

Not that you asked for recommendations - but I can recommend two turners on YouTube: John Lucas and Lyle Jamieson. There are others of course, but you (likely) can't go wrong with these two. I love my Ellsworth book too.

Henry

Last edited:

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
All of the species you have collectively mentioned are much harder than the ceder I am using.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I am new to turning and have produced 20 or so spindles with success. I am trying out face turning and experimenting on scraps. My first scrap is ceder but the soft wood and plethora of knots are problematic, it seems. Am I just complaining or should I try to experiment of a species that has better qualities?

Suggestions are appreciated.

What are you using to face turn? The same tool that worked for spindle turning will likely cause catches. Google bowl gouges and look at the grind angles and grinds used.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I'd stick with the cedar. It's a good wood to learn on. Maple would be my next choice, but it has a tendency to teach you what tear out is all about ;).

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Willem,

That could easily be my problem.

John

John, if you buy a bowl gouge it is also very likely that it comes with the wrong grind. We have a turners club here in Whispering Pines, meeting once every month, they will show you the way. Or, if you are in the area (Pinehurst) come-on over and I can help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors