Learning Fan Inlay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I decided to try my hand at fan inlay on this simple box so that when I mess up it won't be any great loss. This is my first attempt and it really tested my religon. Maybe the rest will get easier.
100_0973.jpg

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I think it turned out really well Larry. I'm not really sure how you go about doing inlays, but I'd love to try them one day. Great job. :icon_thum

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Larry, did you cut & cook the fan pieces yourself?
And on your recent table, did you make the medallions?
BTW, you've got a lot of good looking tables in your album!

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Larry, did you cut & cook the fan pieces yourself?
And on your recent table, did you make the medallions?
BTW, you've got a lot of good looking tables in your album!
Joe, On the card table I bought the medallions from Rockler. On the fan I did cut and cook the my self. The shading part was actually easy. Thanks ofr the compliment.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Larry,

I think the fans look good, did you shade them by using the hot sand method ? BTW, thanks for the website link.

JohnW

New User
John
Larry,
Looks very good. Much better than my 1st time. :no:
You also got a tight fit between the top frame and Qt sycamore. I typically have to inlay that area because my fit is not very tight.

Takes a steady hand, good eyes and good technique to do these things. You have all three. Nice job.:icon_thum

DavidF

New User
David
That looks great Larry, not perfect, but why would it be on the first attempt? The shading is perfect, and the fit between the curve of the fan and the rest of the veneer looks good from here. Nice looking main piece too - overall, nice looking box.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Larry, do you use a hot plate or kitchen stove? I ask because I tried this once using the kitchen stove and couldn't get the temp right. Haven't tried again, but I've never done Federal and now looking for a challenge.
Joe, I used a hot plate. LOML would have a fit if I messed up her kitchen:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS