Lazy Susan

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Used a piece out of a salvaged drop leaf dining table top.

IMG_3373.JPG
IMG_3374.JPG

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Well done, pretty as well as very practical! May have inspired me!
Thanks for posting. (I too am interested in the brand/type of rotate mechanism.)

Wayne

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
I bought a mechanism to use as a lazy susan for a wide cookie I cut. It rattled so much as it rotated I never used it. A friend suggested it might be very useful when family is gathered around the dinner table and the conversation turns to politics. " Anyone want more gravy" and rotate the server.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
I bought a mechanism to use as a lazy susan for a wide cookie I cut. It rattled so much as it rotated I never used it. A friend suggested it might be very useful when family is gathered around the dinner table and the conversation turns to politics. " Anyone want more gravy" and rotate the server.
LOL

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I don't know what the mechanism is. I salvaged it off of an old one that belonged to my MIL. It's just a strip of plastic with ball bearings imbeded and a mating carriage that screws into the wood. Looks kinda cheap to me but it works.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
This fall I built a lazy susan out of red oak that needed to be big enough for a game board. No photo handy but for hardware I got a 24 inch diameter aluminum with ball bearings off Amazon. Works very smoothly.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
Being only 4" square i think they may be prone to tilt and the lazy susan could scrape the base. My potential lazy susan measures 16" x 19" (ash cookie) so a small amount of tilt would be problematic. Is my concern realistic?

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
Being only 4" square i think they may be prone to tilt and the lazy susan could scrape the base. My potential lazy susan measures 16" x 19" (ash cookie) so a small amount of tilt would be problematic. Is my concern realistic?
there is also a 6" size

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Woodpeckers makes both a 9" and a 12" one that I have used before (the 12" one). Very smooth and while not totally quiet it's not very noisy at all. A little more pricey but not too bad.

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
I was in the process of making 3 LS when this conversation started. I purchased hardware for two (4") at the new Rockler. To me they are not acceptable. Too "grindy" and not feel smooth enough. Once it gets loaded down it is better but I would like something quieter and smoother.

I attached a pic of one. I am finishing one that is similar but the sunflower is sycamore inlay. Thinking of brass inlay for the 3rd as I have never tried it.

Attachments

• lazy susan.jpg
    lazy susan.jpg
    987.3 KB · Views: 24

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I bought this 24 inch off Amazon. Seems pretty solid and made out of aluminum. They have multiple sizes and two levels: commercial or heavy Duty. I ordered the heavy duty which is cheaper but still expensive.
Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 3.22.13 PM.png

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
I bought this 24 inch off Amazon. Seems pretty solid and made out of aluminum. They have multiple sizes and two levels: commercial or heavy Duty. I ordered the heavy duty which is cheaper but still expensive. View attachment 225814
I bought a small one like this but it was a head scratcher as all the built-in screw holes had a plastic nib on the other side so no way to screw down without removing the nibs. Won’t work with nibs removed. Was yours like this? When I looked up how to use it seems they were made for heavy displays where the weight keeps bottom from spinning when top is turned.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I am trying to remember Mike. I am pretty sure I had to knock out some plugs on one side. I definitely remember using flat head screws to attach the wood top because I measured and remeasured to make sure I didn't drill through to the surface. It is at a vacation home we own so can't take a photo right now.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS