Lathe Stand Complete- Almost

Status
Not open for further replies.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
I finally got the lathe stand finished today. Got it just the right height so I do not have to stand on a box any more. The drop leaf section on the right side is to accommodate the lathe bed extension which will give me up to 48 inches between centers for turning. I have a pair of folding shelf brackets ordered to support the drop leaf but have not received them as yet. Plenty of storage for all tools and accessories. I used casters from Great Lakes so the weight can be taken off the wheels when the lathe is in use. The finish is a water clear Pre-Catalyzed lacquer. I feel that the 1220 is all the lathe I will ever need. Now all I have left to do is start turning.

lathe_stand_008.jpg

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Dino, Nice job, I really like the way that the grain on the drawer fronts is facing. Did you use really wide boards, a glue up, or veneer. At a quick glance it looks like cabinet doors.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sweet looking setup. That workbench would look good as a kitchen island.:icon_thum

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Dino...great looking stand. Could you do a close-up of the casters. They look very unusal.

Dan C.

dpanda

New User
Dan
Wow!!! :icon_cheers
I guess it wouldn't quite look like that if I made it out of 2x4's and Luan plywood?:rotflm:
Dan

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Dino, Nice job, I really like the way that the grain on the drawer fronts is facing. Did you use really wide boards, a glue up, or veneer. At a quick glance it looks like cabinet doors.

Love the drawer fronts too, Dino!!!:icon_cheers:icon_cheers

Can you let us in on the secret for grain matching so nicely?

Fine looking piece of "shop furniture", for sure!:wsmile:

Wayne

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Is beautiful the right word for a lathe stand? Well, it is here.

I too like the vertical grain on the drawers... veneer?

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
No veneer! The entire piece is made from solid wood with the exception of the drawer boxes and drawer bottoms which are 1/2" maple plywood, finished both sides. The side and rear panels, the door panel and the drawer fronts were made from one board 12" wide by 10 feet long. Board was resawed to 3/8" for all the panels and the drawer fronts are made by gluing two 24" long boards together. Drawer faces (5/8"thick) are then cut across the grain, kept in order and attached to the drawer boxes, filling the opening. Thanks for all the kind comments.

BillPappas

New User
Bill
Dino,

It looks like a fine piece of furniture not shop grade...if I had that in my shop LOL would want it moved into the house!

Well done as always!

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS