Lathe Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Well the wife caught me yesterday out on in the garage playing with my lathe. At least after many years, she now knows to let me know what she is up to before the camera flash causes accidents. This is a 1962 Powermatic model 45 I bought last year. Though I have many other tools, they have really taken a back seat since the lathe. For now at least, the bowls I can turn on the inboard are big enough for my skillset, but I need to tool up for the outboard use.
557884508_71da9fa122.jpg
As you can see, when I attach a mobile base to the lathe, I can take advantage of the opportunity to add some height to the machine. Maybe then the pictures will show a bit more of me than my balding head :)
557884516_bc452868e8.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, that's a mighty hunk-o-iron. It looks like it is serving you well too, nice pile-o-shavings.

Dave:)

Sir Chiz

New User
Phil
I think it would be a safe to say you haven't cracked your elbown on that unused tailcenter yet??? :eusa_doh:
You'll only do it ONCE. ;-)

Chiz.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
lol, no, I have'nt busted my elbow yet. You're right though, that would really hurt. The garage is so limited in space (because my wife says it is too full of tools), so I end up laying a few things on the other end of the lathe - Very, Very bad practice!

What I need is a little mobile cart of some type to hold the calipers and the sanding disks and the tung-oil and the pencil,, and, you get the idea... so that there will be space to move the tailstock on down to the end of the lathe.

I just finished building a mobile base for the lathe, but need to put some better casters on it. The ones I originally purchased are hardly close to the weight load rating they were purported to be and the lathe wobbled miseribly.

The next upgrade I need is an outboard rig. From what I am reading, alot of the stands are prone to tipping into the work and causing all sorts of trouble. I am looking building one that is something like the current outboard that powermatic sells; it has two heavy square tube iron legs that rest on the floor and one that bolts to the machine base. I'm guessing that there is no chatter.

I'll try to remember when I'm turning that I have to avoid an "I told you so" about the tailstock :roll:

Thanks,

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS