Lathe base complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldetoolworkshop

New User
Aaron
Hey All,

Here is a picture of my unfinished lathe. It still need the poles, tool rest tail stock and rocker arm to be complete, but the joinery is compete. to read my whole long winded article please visit my blog.

http://oldetoolworkshop.com/blog

I do have one question, does anyone have any suggestions for 1"x6' hickory rod/dowel? I need two for the "spring pole" part.

Thanks,
Aaron

lathe_side_view.jpg

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Find a nice sapling in the woods, cut it down, drawknife it smooth and you're all set.

Roy G

oldetoolworkshop

New User
Aaron
Hey Roy,

Thank you for the suggestion. Fortunately, I have various tree varieties of seasoned saplings (no hickory though). My backup plan was to use two of those if I can't find the hickory. Also, I believe the poles need to be bone dry to use. Otherwise you get a pretty limp non-springy action.

-Aaron H

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a scrap piece of hickory left over from making a bow saw. I think it is 4/4 rough sawn, but not sure if it is 6' long. I'm not near the shop right now so I'll have to look for it later and measure. If it is I can rip a 2" or so straight grain strip off it for you. Just need to get it to you somehow and you'd need to get it round with a draw knife or something.

Are you going to the picnic? If so and if I have what you want I can bring it there.

- Ken.

oldetoolworkshop

New User
Aaron
Hey Ken,

That would be great! I can definitely round it over on my shaving horse. Let me double check the length. I may be able to to get buy with 5' 6" or even slightly less. I will send you a private message to arrange details.

Thanks Again,
Aaron

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Let me get home and measure it before you get too excited. I'm hoping it's long enough, but I really don't remember. I'll post the length later this evening once I get to the house.

- Ken.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dang, sorry to get your hopes up there. I measured and I guess I cut that board up more than I remembered to get at the good parts. The longest piece I have left is only 34" and there are a couple more only about 2' long.

I think I got it at Woodcraft, but you'd likely find it at Klingspor as well. And our folks in Gibsonville will definitely have some in stock if you want to purchase some.

Sorry about that, you would have been welcome to it if I'd had it.

- Ken.

oldetoolworkshop

New User
Aaron
Hey Ken,

No worries. I appreciate the effort. I will probably use my stock of seasoned saplings and replace them if they do not work well.

-Aaron H

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS