Lathe and lathe tool reconmendations

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
What do you intend to make? The tools for a chess set are very different from the ones used in large bowls or architectural columns.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Sounds like someone fell in a rabbit hole.

Don't worry. There's folks here that will help tape up your ankle and give you a lot of help. Not sure they will be able to help you out of that rabbit hole though. :)

Good luck!

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Research lathe tool sharpening equipment and techniques first.
Usually 'good' and 'cheap' are mutually exclusive as with any tool/machine buy.

cliff56

cliff
Corporate Member
Look up AAW American association of woodturners, they has many resources for beginners and experienced as well. Find a club nearby if possible lots of knowledge and encouragement there.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
For medium to small it’s hard to beat the Rikon midi lathe, about $700 last time I checked. --**$900 now**--
Traditional tools are my preference, Oneway grinding jig, 140 and 600 grit CBN wheels, Oneway chuck with several sizes of jaws. I’d say about $2000 all together.

Last edited:

AvocadoesTasteGood

New User
Ryan
For medium to small it’s hard to beat the Rikon midi lathe, about $700 last time I checked.
Traditional tools are my preference, Oneway grinding jig, 140 and 600 grit CBN wheels, Oneway chuck with several sizes of jaws. I’d say about $2000 all together.
Thank you for the reconmendation! I will check it out!

rickbw

New User
Rick Wize
I started with a Jet mini many years ago, next purchase was a 14" Standard Jet. Next was a Nova DVR.

I've now graduated to a Robust Scout.

As I did more and more woodturning I ended up progressing to what I consider I will never need to upgrade from :)

Rick

gfawcett

New User
Greg
To whom ever stumbles on this thread I need your help. I don't know what brand of lathe and tools to buy. Any reconmendations would be nice!!!
I like the Laguna Revo lathe. If I were to buy one today, that would be my recommendation. I have a Nova 14DR and it is okay, but the Laguna has a lot more capacity and is just an all around better lathe for just a little more money. As far as tools, until you learn to sharpen right, get the cheapest set of lathe tools you can as you'll just lose a lot of metal in the beginning until you learn your sharpening skills. Ron Brown has some pretty decent tools at a cheap cost as great starters. He also has instructional videos and sells guides for sharpening. If you want to learn to turn bowls, I suggest these 3 courses. Good luck!

Shane

New User
Shane
To whom ever stumbles on this thread I need your help. I don't know what brand of lathe and tools to buy. Any reconmendations would be nice!!!
What do you want to make? Big,,small,,bowls,,,spindles,,,once you answer some of these questions you can narrow down your search

fjdog

New User
Roland
I have the Rikon 70-150VSR. I've been very happy with it. You can get an optional extension bed (shown in the photo), which allows you to do leg spindles for furniture or if you reverse it to the other side, you can turn slightly larger bowls.

Attachments

• 68946246355__911CD1F7-6474-45D3-900B-1270500BA760.JPG
    68946246355__911CD1F7-6474-45D3-900B-1270500BA760.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 61

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
I like the Laguna Revo too. The midi can bridge the gap between doing something small like a pen and doing a 16” bowl. Seems to be the best of both worlds

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
+1 on the rabbit hole.
+1 on it depends largely on what you plan to make.
+1 on using traditional turning tools, grinder, Oneway jig and CBN wheels.
  • In many ways, the lathe is the easy part. It's everything else that can eat you alive. However, take it from me, it's much less expensive to do things once and well from the onset.
  • You can turn small things on a big lathe, but you can't turn big things on a small lathe.
  • Lathe working height is, in my opinion, critical. I'm vertically challenged. Working on a tall lathe like, for example, the Nova floor machines, is intensely uncomfortable for me. Yes, you can build a riser platform on which to stand, but tripping over it and cleaning around them seems troublesome (to me).
    • Some floor lathes have adjustable kegs or removable leg risers, either of which may make a lathe far more comfortable/enjoyable for long hours of turning. Of course, one can build a bench to an ideal height for a benchtop lathe.

AvocadoesTasteGood

New User
Ryan
I have the Rikon 70-150VSR. I've been very happy with it. You can get an optional extension bed (shown in the photo), which allows you to do leg spindles for furniture or if you reverse it to the other side, you can turn slightly larger bowls.
Thank you for the straight forward answer!!!

AvocadoesTasteGood

New User
Ryan
+1 on the rabbit hole.
+1 on it depends largely on what you plan to make.
+1 on using traditional turning tools, grinder, Oneway jig and CBN wheels.
  • In many ways, the lathe is the easy part. It's everything else that can eat you alive. However, take it from me, it's much less expensive to do things once and well from the onset.
  • You can turn small things on a big lathe, but you can't turn big things on a small lathe.
  • Lathe working height is, in my opinion, critical. I'm vertically challenged. Working on a tall lathe like, for example, the Nova floor machines, is intensely uncomfortable for me. Yes, you can build a riser platform on which to stand, but tripping over it and cleaning around them seems troublesome (to me).
    • Some floor lathes have adjustable kegs or removable leg risers, either of which may make a lathe far more comfortable/enjoyable for long hours of turning. Of course, one can build a bench to an ideal height for a benchtop lathe.
Thank you for the tips!

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Take a class at a facility with different (manufacturers') lathes and tools. Or, visit the shops of turners that will let you experience their machine. After 30 minutes on my lathe a friend gave up on his HF lathe and made a big step up in his lathe and his sharpening system. OBTW, his wife won't let him come back to my shop. Seems I'm an expensive influence.

It's like renting (a) cars before you buy or, going to the range and trying different shapes and sizes of projectile launchers before selecting. Find what fits you. And, consider the finish, e.g., I don't think I'll buy another Thompson tool since I've tried others with a more refined finish.

YMMV

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS