Latest harpsichord finished with sound

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
WOWSA!
Tell us more about the keyboard - do you have a close-up of it?
Hank,
Here's a closeup of the keyboard. I make the key coverings with sapele, cherry, or ebony. This photo shows a sapele keyboard. The sharp keys are made of maple and stained or painted black. The white sharp coverings are made of bone or Micarta. Bone has gotten very expensive so this keyboard has sharps covered with Micarta which is made of layers of paper face glued under tremendous pressure into 1/8" thick pieces. Micarta can be bought in various thicknesses and is pretty near indestructible.

The scored lines on the sapele are 1/8" apart and are made using a jig a I made. This scoring is done before the sapele is glued onto the keystick. There are actually only two scored lines on each key covering. The third line (the one closest to the sharps) is actually the end of the key head.
Unlike a piano, harpsichord keys are covered with two pieces. The head is 1 3/8" long and the second part, called the tail, is glued onto the key directly behind the head. The joint between the head and the tail makes the third "scored" line. The heads are rounded on the edges and front using an exacto knife and files.

The keyboard sits on a keyframe and is guided by pins at the center and rear of the keys. The keyboad is clamped to the keyframe in the correct position and the holes are drilled through both assemblies at the same time assuring their alignment.

If there's anything else you're curious about, drop me a line and I'll do my best to answer.

Ernie

20230705_102329.jpg

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Thanks to everyone for your kind responses. I've been building these instruments for 38 years and still love the work - it keeps me young (kind of).

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ernie, approximately how many hours do you have in a harpsicord build? This one is fabulous!

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Ernie, approximately how many hours do you have in a harpsicord build? This one is fabulous!
Thanks Neal,

I've never counted the hours. A mid-size instrument like this one takes about 5 1/2 months. 5 months for a smaller one, and 6+ months for a large, two manual. The average time in hours would probably be 1200 to 1500 hours. Wow, that's depressing.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Charlie - Now you know how I feel every time you show us one of your pieces. Wow.

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
This is my latest instrument, finished in May of this year. The case is poplar and is ebonized with India Ink, a product I've never used before. I used SpeedBall Super Black india ink, and it was much easier to work with than I thought it would be. I will definitely be using it again.

To hear a sound sample, click this link and then click on Audio Sample.

Thanks for looking and happy 4th of July.
Ernie

View attachment 220281View attachment 220282View attachment 220283
Incredible work. I don't think you change anywhere near enough for it though.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Incredible work. I don't think you change anywhere near enough for it though.
I agree, but the market is what the market is. There are no lines around the block wanting to buy a harpsichord. I've been fortunate in that I've never had a problem selling them. Thanks for your kind words.

SJWiehe

Steve
Corporate Member
Could you post a picture of the inlay youhave on the soundboard. It looks amazing but it's hard to see from your pictures.

Beautiful work!

Steve

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Wow! ...just wow! I looked over the pictures and was amazed at your work Ernie. Then I listened the the audio sample. I closed my eyes and I was just mesmerized by the amazing sound! OMG WOW! Outstanding work! It's hard to imagine what's involved in all the details of cutting, fitting, and assembling something like this that just so incredibly beautiful to the eyes and ears! Wow!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors