Late Christmas present (VS mini-gloat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeL

New User
George
Well for those who have kept up on the Good Will lathe post, my 11 year old son Alex wants to get into woodturning. We are on the list to receive the Good Will lathe in March. When we went back home to Indiana for Christmas we told my oldest brother, also a woodworker, about Alex’s turn on the GW lathe. He offered Alex my dad’s old lathe in the mean time. Well, we got it home and quite frankly wasn’t worth the time as one of the pulleys was cracked, the bearings are shot and the lathe is a non-standard no-name tool. So I broke down and bought Alex a Jet variable speed mini-lathe and most of the accessories for pen turning.

001.JPG

Here is Alex practicing on a 3 X 3 of poplar.

He still needs a good set of knives, the ones from my brother are in pretty bad shape although I sharpened them as best as I could.

I already PMed Steve Coles to take my name off the GW lathe list

George

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Did you buff the bed on that machine too :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I am glad to see him turning...how long will it be before you're hooked too :eusa_thin:eusa_thin If he (or you) need and help with pen turning just let me know.

Dave:)

GeorgeL

New User
George
Did you buff the bed on that machine too :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I will NEVER live that down, will I?

I am glad to see him turning...how long will it be before you're hooked too :eusa_thin:eusa_thin If he (or you) need and help with pen turning just let me know.

We will most definitely need help, not only with pen turning but some lathe basics.

George

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I will NEVER live that down, will I?

George

Not as long as you can still count your nose hairs in your CI surfaces. There are worse thing to be known for...like peach paint :eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
:eusa_thin I dunno....does this fall under "contributing to the delinquency of a minor"? If you expose him to woodworking, he may very well not spend hours playing video games! Alex may turn into one of those kids who spends most of his time in the shop! Oh, the horror.:tinysmile_tongue_t:

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
George, that is great. You will not regret it....but your wallet might. :lol:
Turning is a much better past time for a young person than sitting on a couch playing video games.

GeorgeL

New User
George
:eusa_thin I dunno....does this fall under "contributing to the delinquency of a minor"? If you expose him to woodworking, he may very well not spend hours playing video games! Alex may turn into one of those kids who spends most of his time in the shop! Oh, the horror.:tinysmile_tongue_t:

Actually, Alex has pretty evenly divided his time between working in the shop, Call of Duty 4 and Lego Star Wars. ;-)

George

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Actually, Alex has pretty evenly divided his time between working in the shop, Call of Duty 4 and Lego Star Wars. ;-)

George

I play Lego Star Wars with my son C.J. at least twice a week. It's the only game I know of that works well for 2 people playing and we get to work as a team. I ain't very good but he tolerates my mediocre play.

Awesome deal on the lathe! I may have to step onto that slope some day.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS