Laser engraving in wood service needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member

I have been posting photos of chairs I was building lately here on the forum. Most of them have been the WIP of side chairs(bowback).

1-Stool_project_dec_2017_008.JPG

I do make arm chairs and this is the reason for this post. I want to do a little engraving on the crest rails of the arm chairs in the center of the cherry crest rail area. Now this is not the chair but you get the idea.(below)

DSC059571.JPG

Here are a couple examples of what I am thinking about engraving in the center. These are not decals like many of the chairs I see offered on line.

personalization00.jpg

personalization03.jpg

This is the current offering at the local universities in my area. I think I can make a nicer chair but I need to find someone who can laser the logos in the center of the rail.
765-cat.jpg

Are there members of the NCWW that do laser engraving? Can a piece of wood that is long fit in the laser box? Does the engraving need to be done when the piece is flat or can the work be done after the piece is bent?

I guess the looming questions are:
Is there someone who does this work in the Ral/Dur area? If not a sevice others have used?

Any information would be helpful.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dan, you need to reach out to Brad (Vetteman9956), he has been doing the Service Branch Insignia and NCWW medallions we put on the Burial Urns. He recently had surgery and is on the road to recovery but he may still be monitoring the happenings on here.

ehpoole

Ethan
We have several members who can do laser engraving. However, be aware that if these chairs are being sold (anything other than strictly personal use) then there are licensing requirements when it comes to utilizing university logos and graphics as they are usually registered trademarks (technically restrictions apply to personal use a well, but it is predominantly commercial use that gets their legal departments riled up). For that reason some businesses may also refuse to accept such artwork for engraving without evidence that a licensing agreement is in place.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have previous had engraving done on a much smaller piece at Cary Trophy (I believe). Anyways if you can't find it here, try calling some trophy places.
Curved surface was OK, but mine was convex, not concave (and much smaller).

barnes

New User
barnes
If you swing by Splatspace in Durham on a Tuesday night for an open meeting, someone would be happy to show you their laser cutter and help you get started using it yourself. They are pretty easy machines to use once you get the hang of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors