Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
IMG_3322.jpeg

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Wow, wonderful.
Can you tell me more? What materials are used here? What size is this piece?

Last edited:

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Wow, wonderful.
Can you tell me more? What materials are used here? What size is this piece?
Thanks. It’s not as complicated as it looks, just a series of patterns cut on 3mm ply. It is app 11.5”. The outer layers are most complex so take longest to cut. There are 7 layers I think. Every other layer is stained.

Glue up is a little tedious. I made a jig with 3 points I’d contact to keep them aligned.

One of my sons likes op art. I did this one last year. Layered patterns are fun. And we did a few ornaments, too.

IMG_2338.jpeg

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
Since these are laser cut, you have better options for alignment.
"Glue up is a little tedious. I made a jig with 3 points I’d contact to keep them aligned."
Have the laser cut round (1/8", 3/16", 1/4". etc) holes at a spot that is solid in all layers. Fill the holes with dowels, fluted dowel pins, etc..
Tell the laser to "ignore" the top layer holes.

While you are at it, have the laser score the layer number for each level (again ignore for top layer).

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
That's very interesting. Nice job.

What laser cutter are you using?
Lasermaster 10W.
Since these are laser cut, you have better options for alignment.
"Glue up is a little tedious. I made a jig with 3 points I’d contact to keep them aligned."
Have the laser cut round (1/8", 3/16", 1/4". etc) holes at a spot that is solid in all layers. Fill the holes with dowels, fluted dowel pins, etc..
Tell the laser to "ignore" the top layer holes.

While you are at it, have the laser score the layer number for each level (again ignore for top layer).
Thanks it was easy enough though

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
That must have taken forever with a 10W laser ... How long did it take?
The more complicated layers maybe 45 minutes. If I had to guess the whole thing took maybe 3 hours.

I do this for fun and I’m doing other things while I let it work. I don’t do enough to justify the expense of more power.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS