Large Tree Removal... went to the tub grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnellyJT

New User
John
We had a large tree removed. We live in the City of Charlotte and paid a fortue to have this tree removed. There is no market in Charlotte for 7.5 ton 6 foot sections of Willow Oak. No one wants to deal with the weight and worry about what fence, nails, cloths line pulley, etc... have grown into it.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
It's a real shame about all of the metal (that's what those black streaks on the end of the log represent - metal up in the wood somewhere). Otherwise it would have been a great log for milling.

I have cut large diameter willow oak logs before (50" +), and it makes a nice board.

Dragon

New User
David
Man, looking at those pics I could only dream about some beautiful tables slabs of that trunk would have made.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
It's a real shame about all of the metal (that's what those black streaks on the end of the log represent - metal up in the wood somewhere). Otherwise it would have been a great log for milling.

I have cut large diameter willow oak logs before (50" +), and it makes a nice board.

Scott is 100% correct about tramp metal it makes a black or blue streak in logs. See that it ain't worth trying to mill.

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Doesn't a tree grow from the top (meaning that a section at the base today will still be at/near the base in 20 years)? If so, wouldn't it be safe to assume that any "serious" metal would be in the bottom 3-5' (estimated max height of a fence post or fence wire)? Wouldn't you be able to mill the sections of the tree above say, 5 feet? There might be a stray nail here or there above 5' (someone hanging a sign, birdfeeder, etc. up high) but wouldn't that be a risk with any tree? I too, look at the cross section and think what great tabletops might have been made out of it. I realize it is too late now so I'm just curious.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Doesn't a tree grow from the top (meaning that a section at the base today will still be at/near the base in 20 years)? If so, wouldn't it be safe to assume that any "serious" metal would be in the bottom 3-5' (estimated max height of a fence post or fence wire)? Wouldn't you be able to mill the sections of the tree above say, 5 feet? There might be a stray nail here or there above 5' (someone hanging a sign, birdfeeder, etc. up high) but wouldn't that be a risk with any tree? I too, look at the cross section and think what great tabletops might have been made out of it. I realize it is too late now so I'm just curious.

Christopher, you are absolutly correct - the bulk of metal does show up in the bottom 5' of a trunk log. Occasionally you find something higher where either someone stuck a piece of metal in a crotch where some limbs meet the trunk, or spikes were driven / eyebolts were screwed for attaching a cable, but these are less common.

The key is having enough clear trunk above 5 feet in order to get some nice usable logs, as well as a tree service that can evaluate the condition of the logs and cut them in the best location for milling usable boards.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
I see Heartwood took the tree down. I have gotten some nice large ones from them but the most that I can break down is around 55" across. Willow Oak CAN generate some nice qsawn boards. A lot of the Oaks go to a local firewood guy that actually made a 7 foot horizontal hydraulic splitter.

I CAN slab out up to 55" across if you can get it to me or if there easy access to set up around it. Get one that is walnut cherry or something unusual give me a call.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Christopher, you are absolutly correct - the bulk of metal does show up in the bottom 5' of a trunk log. Occasionally you find something higher where either someone stuck a piece of metal in a crotch where some limbs meet the trunk, or spikes were driven / eyebolts were screwed for attaching a cable, but these are less common.

The key is having enough clear trunk above 5 feet in order to get some nice usable logs, as well as a tree service that can evaluate the condition of the logs and cut them in the best location for milling usable boards.

I have hit crescent wrenches, coke bottle and eye bolts way up in the trunk from yard trees.

DonnellyJT

New User
John
The large sections went to Joe Cadieu's tub grinder. I hear the bottom section sat for weeks because it was too big.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Joe has a crane as well... It is hard to fathom that a tree that large might only be 75-100 years old. I have seen growth rings 1" wide on some willow oaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors