Knob for Miller Falls Hand Drill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richo B

New User
Richo
Hand Drill_Oct 2016_02.jpg
I have a Miller Falls hand drill as many others on the site do as I've seen in posts. I also find this type drill at many of the shops I've visited and have worked in.

Hand Drill_Oct 2016_03.jpg

I notice on the reverse side there is a threaded hole where perhaps a knob could be screwed in. I think I've seen other similar drills with a knob there. Mine of course didn't come with one because I bought it in an antiques store. I've also seen similar drills that did not have a knob there and I've managed to work without one, keeping my other hand on the handle while the primary one works the rotater gear.

So my question would be, if I were interested in getting a knob for this would there be a place one could find them? eBay, parts store. Another option would be, if this is a somewhat standard gauge I could make a knob for it. I've got some tap and die equipment and saw a larger set at an antiques store last week. So making one would be an option. Any ideas? This of course is not crucial because as I say I'm using it quite fine as it is.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I ended up turning a handle for one of my drills.

TwoDrills.jpg

Both drills are the same model and size. The top one looks smaller because of perspective. You can click on the images for a closer view.

Handle1.jpg

The stud is just a 5/16-18 bolt with the head cut off. The recess in the knob is there to fit over the raised area around the stud. The stud goes about an inch into the knob. I tapped the knob with a regular screw tap.

Handle2.jpg

This knob is a little larger than the original and much more comfortable to use and easier to hold on to. Probably took me about an hour in all, including deciding exactly what I wanted to do.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
The stud is just a 5/16-18 bolt with the head cut off. The recess in the knob is there to fit over the raised area around the stud. The stud goes about an inch into the knob. I tapped the knob with a regular screw tap..

Thanks for that info. I have a MF #2 missing one also. The one from my MF #5A fits it and I was always curious what the pitch was.

I may make one but I seldom use that knob and don't really miss it in use.

Richo B

New User
Richo
Jim - your answer is exactly what I was looking for. Namely the dimension of the bolt needed. I don't turn stuff but I can easily repurpose a knob from somewhere else for my purposes. Definitely something to consider if I ever come to a point where I want to make the knob.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I would advise you take your drill to the hardware store and make sure a 5/16" bolt fits.

Roy G

Richo B

New User
Richo
I don't think I could get enough torque or balance using the side knob which is why I wonder why it is there to begin with. We don't have three hands, or at least I don't. The book one of my volunteer's lent me on using hand tools doesn't feature a side knob on crank hand drills so that is why I started this thread to see why or if it was necessary. Obviously from what I've read it isn't.

gritz

New User
Robert
I have used the side knob to help locate and steady the drill before pressing with my body (belly, thigh, chest) as I drilled.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
I restored an old German hand drill that had a cracked main handle + a crank spindle with no wood, and a side handle missing all together. I turned all three out of walnut. The main and spindle did have the ferrules, but I had to fabricate one for the side handle. Spun it on the lathe from a piece of 1/2" electrical conduit.

I mostly hold it by the main handle, but sometimes hold it with the side handle, bracing the main handle against my waist. I love this little bugger - an original cordless drill.

IMG_1712.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS