Kitchen remode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Re: Kitchen remodel

Chris, I am coming for that shaper, be prepared to defend :rotflm:. I dont have power feed on mine, all hand power. I have a 2hp Jet that is suhweet, problem is feeder cost as much as shaper.

?? bust down sheets: I made a straight edge for my circ saw, bust em ruff size. TS finish, ez ez pz

Pocket holes, I own the Kreg Forman, the new machine, best since sliced bread, unless you are running 8 hr plus a day doing nothing but.

System holes, Yes I have a jig that does both sides . YES I pin when clamped, keep moving on, :}

Willemjm above for you also. When you are ready to get your ply contact me or Chris if he has commercial connections. DO NOT REPEAT DO NOT BUY BORG PLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANY HELP i CAN BE JUST PM

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member

Chris, I am coming for that shaper, be prepared to defend :rotflm:. I dont have power feed on mine, all hand power. I have a 2hp Jet that is suhweet, problem is feeder cost as much as shaper.

?? bust down sheets: I made a straight edge for my circ saw, bust em ruff size. TS finish, ez ez pz

Pocket holes, I own the Kreg Forman, the new machine, best since sliced bread, unless you are running 8 hr plus a day doing nothing but.

System holes, Yes I have a jig that does both sides . YES I pin when clamped, keep moving on, :}

Willemjm above for you also. When you are ready to get your ply contact me or Chris if he has commercial connections. DO NOT REPEAT DO NOT BUY BORG PLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thx Skymaster

I will probably get a panel saw. Currently for smaller jobs I do same as you with circular saw and table saw, but that is big work.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User

I do my plywood the same way.. rough ( I usually rough right off the truck when I can so I dont handle the sheets) and finish on the TS.

Skymaster

New User
Jack

Used to have a good friend with his shop about 10 mins away, buy the load, swing bye with a cut list, zip em thru the slider, yahooooo a big erector set. Sadly he is still my good friend but he closed his shop, now I have to wrestle with sheets and is really putting a hurting on me.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member

Used to have a good friend with his shop about 10 mins away, buy the load, swing bye with a cut list, zip em thru the slider, yahooooo a big erector set. Sadly he is still my good friend but he closed his shop, now I have to wrestle with sheets and is really putting a hurting on me.
That is becase they are (and always have been) bigger than you are!:rotflm:
...but not stronger or tougher! I got $20 on Jack for the win!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

Nice, great post and adventure!!!!

I will be building a new home soon, with a detached shop simultaneously, however giving the latter priority so I can do all my own cabinet work.

While I can do cabinets currently, I am not really geared to do them real fast, so I would have to invest a bit in a few pieces of equipment.

Questions:

1.) Were you using a power feeder with hold-down on the shaper? Yes. I have two shapers. A 3 hp Delta and a 5.5hp on my Felder tablesaw. Both have power feeders. I used the Delta to make the rails and stiles. I built a sled and have both the rail and stile cutters mounted at the same time. On the Delta I only used the PF for the stick cuts. I used the Felder for panel raising and the outside door edges and used the power feeder on both for it. It took some finagling to get the PF’s set up right. I also learned the hard way to wax the beds. If you are using wood that burns easy, a power feeder makes it a lot easier. For other wood types you can get by without it as long as you use hold downs imo.

2.) What did you use to cut your plywood sheets straight and square, without tear-out? I have a Felder with an 8 1/2 foot sliding table with a scoring blade. Before the Felder I had a PM66 with 52 inch rip. It would do a great job with a zero clearance insert.

3.) For the face frames are you going to tuse pocket-hole joinery and are you using a jig? I am doing frameless, but I do and did use pocket holes on the carcasses.

4.) Do you have a rig for drilling the shelf support holes in the plywood? Yes. I have a jig, I think it is called shelf it, and I have a 13 hole line borer. Thus is my first time doing 32 mm layouts, and although it took awhile to get my head around it, I now like it a lot.

5.) Gluing up your cope and stick doors with panels, are you doing that on the bench with squares or do you have a rig to do that with? Are you using a pin nail gun to hold the joints together after gluing so you don't lose drying waiting time?
For assembling doors I just use two Bessel clamps. I glue them up, clamp, make sure they are square, and pin nail the joints.

Some pics

IMG_20171214_112807.jpg

I will take some better pictures of my cope and stile set up with the sled
IMG_20171216_161158.jpg

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

Here is my shaper set up for rails and stiles. My spindle is tall enough to have both sets of cutters on simultaneously. I have the stick on the bottom so I can use the power feeder and the cope on top so I can use the sled. Simplified things so I don’t have to change cutters for when I had screwups.

A3D15E10-4FF7-408A-878A-8EBC086C0BBB.jpeg

F24E7019-9ACD-4527-9E4F-AF6E33C1333F.jpeg

redknife

New User
Chris

Travis, are you building or buying the drawer boxes? I’ve seen some nice boxes with proper joinery for pretty low cost. Seems like a time saver without much financial hit. What do you think?

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User

Here is my shaper set up for rails and stiles. My spindle is tall enough to have both sets of cutters on simultaneously. I have the stick on the bottom so I can use the power feeder and the cope on top so I can use the sled. Simplified things so I don’t have to change cutters for when I had screwups.

A3D15E10-4FF7-408A-878A-8EBC086C0BBB.jpeg

F24E7019-9ACD-4527-9E4F-AF6E33C1333F.jpeg

I have the same feeder on my shaper. Im wondering about your coping sled.... do you use a sacrificial backer to eliminate tearout ?

Skymaster

New User
Jack

panel saw? nah BEAM SAW sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much gooder :rotflm:in fact there is one for sale in selma dont have all details but price is abut 3 or 4 grand same as panel saw. I f interested i can get details

Jeff

New User
Jeff

I am using Rudd solvent based precat lacquer. I must say it stinks like nothing I have ever smelled. I chose solvent as I wanted something that would lay down fast and dry fast.

A curious organic chemist here. Which Rudd precat are you using (6 digit product #) that stinks so bad? I can find the "stinky" solvents in the one that you're using. They have a low VOC product, but not a water-borne lacquer.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

Travis, are you building or buying the drawer boxes? I’ve seen some nice boxes with proper joinery for pretty low cost. Seems like a time saver without much financial hit. What do you think?

Where???

I have not seen particularly good pricing on drawers. I looked at Blum Legrabox and that was around $80 a drawer. Wood drawers I saw ran around $40 to $60. For those prices, I am going to build out of plywood so any insights please share.

redknife

New User
Chris

Where???

I have not seen particularly good pricing on drawers. I looked at Blum Legrabox and that was around $80 a drawer. Wood drawers I saw ran around $40 to $60. For those prices, I am going to build out of plywood so any insights please share.
I was referring to something like this http://www.barkerdoor.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DRAWERBOX-BALTIC-DOVETAIL
As an example, I’m getting about $16 per dovetailed, Baltic birch ply drawer box. $35 shipping for 6 drawers.

srhardwoods

New User
Chris

An option, depending on where you are, draw up your cabinet sizes, ask a local cabinet shop that runs a CNC to cut the parts for you. They can cut the plywood parts, dados, drilled shelf pin holes etc. and have it done before lunch with parts labeled. Well worth paying them to break down the large sheet goods. Some want to do the whole project themselves, and that's great. But for those that don't want to handle the sheet goods paying a CNC is an excellent way to go. just my .02

Skymaster

New User
Jack

right on. +99 I have a shop close by, when I have many sheets to run, charges me 20 a sheet, zips em thru his beam saw. truckload of ply a cutlist :D and away we go

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

Pricing isn't bad. Wish I had seen that earlier. Probably would have went that route, but 3 week lead time is too far out for me now.....

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member

I have the same feeder on my shaper. Im wondering about your coping sled.... do you use a sacrificial backer to eliminate tearout ?

Nice setup, will have to do the same this end when I get going with large volume. Just looked at buying solid Cherry doors, but they are around four times the price I can do them for.

BTW, I do my coping cuts first on boards 8" wide or less which have been jointed, planed and drum sanded, then rip the lengths for the sticks. The first and last rip I get rid or the tear-out as there are always waste pieces left over. After ripping I mill the sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors