Kitchen island: design ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Salem, I think a single panel would work well and structurally will be sound, a lot of my customers are choosing a little more overhang 12" has been a standard for a long time, some go with 15 to 18" giving more leg room and getting stools out of walk ways. Code recommends 36" clearance around the island the National Kitchen and Bath association recommends 42" to 48". Just my 2cents it looks as if you have a fine start on this good luck.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Salem
So if I read your diagram correctly, you already have an island that mostly has 34" separation from the counters. So already you know what it is like to use that kind of space with a 34" separation. So that should help decide n that number.

What I miss on your diagram is the depth of the old island; your new one is labeled as 37" deep I believe, and the pic shows the old one that deep as well. I just want to certain that you are allowing for 16-20" of space in front of each person that may be seated at the island. By having seating there you lose the prep/serving/storage space on that side of the island. You have a much longer island, and more counter top space as well, so that concern may all be negligible.

Our experience re seating in the kitchen - related but not exactly an island:
In our kitchen we replaced the traditional oval dining type table in the 'eat-in section' with a bar height table against the wall. We do find that people (both guests and family) do congregate in the kitchen at times and that the new bar height seating is much more inviting and more used than the old chairs (around the table) were.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
As to the microwave, research trim rings for it, it will give a much better appearance than just a box on a shelf, and make sure your design accepts it, plus any dead air space required by the micro itself.

Ecr1

Chuck
Senior User
]Hey salem if you build it like the link you posted with a valance at the bottom. You can create the look of a 4 inch leg rather easy. I would miter fold the legs. On the front it would just be a L. The seating side would be a U. If you do it this way you can make the island in 3 pieces. The main cabinet and 2 end panels. It's easier to move and install this way. Also I would build a ladder toe kick 3 inches smaller on all sides. Paint it black and it will disappear and you will still have the look of it sitting on the legs. This also makes cleaning under cabinet easier. I am attaching some pics the multi color one is how to create 3 sections the other is showing the ladder toe kick. The other 2 are just renderings. I did it with inset doors and drawers. The end panels are just fake doors.
image264.jpg

image263.jpg

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Salem,

I redid your before and after expansion drawings primarily for my clearer understanding. Is the new office addition clear of the 5' kitchen wall expansion and the setback distance? Your lot must have a trapezoidal shape vs a rectangle and the home is tucked into an area with not much wiggle room.

The approximate current kitchen setup I think. From your original drawing, the refrigerator should be on the left with a 23" clearance but I don't know where the sink and stove is. Will they change locations in the new design?

Eyekode.jpg

Moved the kitchen wall out 5' to the right and rotated the new island 90 degrees vs the original one and added the new coffee bar.

Eyekode_expanded.jpg

Interesting ideas coming out about the new center island design with pull up bar type seating.​

Attachments

• Eyekode.skp
    36.1 KB · Views: 164
  • Eyekode expanded.skp
    47.7 KB · Views: 169
  • Eyekode expanded.jpg
    Eyekode expanded.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 154
  • Eyekode.jpg
    Eyekode.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 150

eyekode

New User
Salem
Jeff your diagram is mostly right. And yes I cannot go further on the kitchen side because my back property line is not square with the back of the house. It slants in near the kitchen. Also the current island is not 48" deep. It is 34x27. Here is a labeled diagram of my current space:

attachment.php

We discussed moving things around but decided we like the current layout. So the stove won't move but will get bigger (still roughly centered in the cabinets on the wall). And the sink won't move either. We will also probably reuse the cabinets where we can.

The biggest reason is we like the "flow" of our current layout. There is a straight shot from the front door to the back door. And there is a nice/wide path from the kitchen and breakfast area to the dining room. And we didn't want to obstruct these walkways with the new/larger island.

Attachments

• labeledkitchen.PNG
    labeledkitchen.PNG
    50.5 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

eyekode

New User
Salem
Chuck,
I love the ideas! Especially the "ladder toe kick". I was concerned on how to keep it clean under there.

Ecr1

Chuck
Senior User
Salem I forgot to add that I drew the island at 72 inches. That will give you 36 inches on both ends. You can get three barstools in at that length. Also have you considered putting 16 inch upper cabs over the coffee area and putting a standard microwave in there.
most microwaves just get used for defrosting and reheating. A small microwave usually works fine in most kitchens. You could build that section to look more like a hutch so it would have a furniture feel.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Both my wife and I are really big coffee fans. I plan on plumbing in an espresso machine and having a small sink as well. I do want to add some upper cabinet-like-things to hold coffee and coffee cups. Maybe make it similar to the shelves I made in the breakfast area:
Untitled by eyekode, on Flickr

Putting the microwave there would save some money. The drawer style microwaves are premium priced. But we do use the microwave in "normal" cooking. Boiling small quantities of water, melting butter etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors